On the Other Hand, SmackDown Finds New Ways to Continue to Earn Its Keep...

There’s a big difference 😉


How’s It Going, Enthusiasts?

 

Well, I didn’t quite expect this week to take the turn it did but it gives us something to talk about. So, let’s get to it, shall we?

 

Dark Side of the Ring dropped a new episode and word has been trending through the social media channels. I took a look myself and for me, what stands out is what a difference 20 years makes. I can see both sides of the story. Nowadays, what was told is abhorrent. How could anyone treat someone that way? But back then, it was an unfortunate truth. Many would say, par for the course. I don’t condone such behavior. I’ve had my fair share of unwanted advances so I can sympathize but I came up at the tail end of the, “it’s a fact of life” era. I was taught that I was to comport myself in a way that would limit or dissuade advances but we all know that doesn’t stop everyone. Recently, this aspect of life has become unacceptable and deplorable and I have to say, I don’t hate that.

 

I guess what I’m trying to say is that I think these guys know that now too or at least, they better. I just heard that Tommy Dreamer has been suspended due to his participation in the episode and Ric Flair’s car insurance commercials have been pulled for the time being due to the bad press. They’re being penalized for something that happened 20 years ago. In most cases there is a statute of limitations but if Harvey Weinstein and Bill Cosby are doing or have done time for their transgressions, these men can be suspended until the air clears. I don’t envy ‘em. It doesn’t help that some of the offenders may not even remember the event due to being so inebriated at the time. Let that be a lesson. As in TEAM America, this world is comprised of dicks, pussies and assholes. These guys crossed over into being “assholes” though I’m sure they thought they were just being “dicks” and are retroactively getting shit on everything. Can’t feel sorry for them.

 

In lighter news, the rumor of Keith Lee being pitched as a manager for Adam Cole got shot down by Cole himself but that doesn’t seem to kill the rumor. That’s what I was talking about. Some rumors become a sort of urban legend and they just stick. Doesn’t look like it matters now but I did catch Cole’s debut match on AEW and to be honest Frankie Kazarian put on a better show. Same thing happened when Cole fought Pat McAfee so, is he a heel? Is that his shtick? To boast about how so-so he is? This is the sort of thing I’m talking about. WWE fans aren’t going to take the time to get him. He’s either amazing or he’s not. They don’t give a shit about the nuances of pro-wrestling character work. That’s why there’s this High School/Secondary School sensibility. We take things at face-value and in the moment. If the impression isn’t good, it’s hard to change but it can be changed, just like in life, but you have to nail the performance. I never saw the big deal about Adam Cole and I believe he’s in the best place for him.

 

Anyway, let’s get back to WWE. So, next week is Go-Home Week. We’ll see what they do to turn the heat up to medium-high. What we have to look for is how they’re going to approach this Dæmon persona. So far, it looks like they’re on track to make the same mistakes but I could be wrong. I say that because we have to believe in the Dæmon. As it stands, Finn Bálor just puts make-up on. If they really want this to go next level, Bálor has to act more like a demon. I’m not saying go darker per se but he has to subtly incorporate the supernatural. He’s got to get in our heads by getting in the roster’s heads and that has yet to happen. I still think they need a stupid, sick reveal too but they don’t seem to want to invest in fleshing that out. I hope I’m wrong, though. This is the sort of thing that if they don’t do it right, they shouldn’t bother doing it at all. So, they really need to put some thought into it or the whole thing is going to get tabled again. All I ask is that they start with the stuff that’s free. He’s got to know things. Say things that unnerve others, seem to be everywhere that sort of thing. This should be a very slow build. So, hopefully we don’t see the Dæmon at Extreme Rules. If I’m Bálor, I’m not using it yet. Yes, everyone should be on notice that he could bust him out but he should get to say when or at least approve the motion. I just don’t feel there’s enough of a build up to bust him out just yet. Remember, they already fucked this up once. Why should we believe they get it right this time? Let’s not get our hopes up. Keep your arms crossed until they show they’re cooking up something better.

 

Outside of that, we see what Seth Rollins have to say. And apparently Bianca BelAir is going to have some sort of homecoming. I’m hearing they’re in her hometown tonight so, it’s fitting but I’m not sure what that’s going to amount to. I suppose that’s why we should tune in and see. Funny tweets and Likes get retweeted. Let’s see if WWE is improving or just redressing more of the same.

 

See You in a Bit,

-Nicole Alexis (^_~)




Comments