SmackDown's Job? Saving Face for WWE...

How Are You Doing, Enthusiasts?

 

Doing good? I guess it could be a sensitive time given the 9/11 Anniversary. This time of year is kinda lost on me because I was abroad at the time of the attacks. I saw it on TV but I was not directly affected by it. I didn’t witness the citywide lockdowns n’such. But the gravity of the moment in history is not completely lost on me.

 

Yet, let’s keep a light mood huh. Got wrestling to talk about and watch. So, let’s get in to what’s going around the grapevine. Remember how I said on Monday that Bryan Danielson’s a.k.a. Daniel Bryan’s debut would have repercussions? Well, one of them is Mick Foley, of all people, catching WWE insider heat. I said on the Twitters that he was preaching to the choir because he’s right, for the most part. I wouldn’t trust the WWE with my wrestling career either. But what wrestlers have to remember is that their bad track record allows them the ability to negotiate. If they want to worry less about their direction, they need to make sure they have one. Don’t trust them to guide you right, at least not in terms of one’s character. If it’s fully realized, they should push to be trusted with that. It’s why they got the job in the first place. They can orchestrate those with less creative talent. If the wrestler has ideas and they’re workable, might as well try ‘em out. Can’t be any worse.

 

But back to Foley, it’s too bad people are a little miffed but that should have been expected. It could be interpreted as a sort of “treason” but it’s just the truth. I won’t persecute someone for stating it. Like I said, whether it’s true or not, WWE is 2nd right now and if you ask me, they shouldn’t be angling for 1st. They should just try to do their best and see if they end up there. This sort of…comparison I would now say must be handled as objectively as possible if they want to get the best outcome. There’s nothing wrong with AEW’s success. You all know I’m hoping for invasions in the future. AEW proving to be a solid alternative is what would make those moments memorable. But if this becomes the competition people half paint it to be, the point tends to get missed. WWE doesn’t have to be surpassed either. And if AEW does it, they should do so, objectively. Not aim to do so. If they earn it, deserve it, it’s theirs as it would be anyone’s. We will see what happens.

 

So, in other news, I caught a little bit of Danielson (don’t be surprised if I revert to calling him Daniel Bryan, just rolls off the tongue better) getting some in-ring action. It was “unofficial” as wrestlers broke down into a minor brawl. What cracked me up is that in the kerfuffle, whoever the dude is with the face guard over at AEW got on Danielson and started spraying him with something in an aerosol can. I’m sure it was Lysol or something but the fact that he did that had me laughing. Danielson should be a heel and should always be threatening to go back to WWE. Yes, John Morrison has the “Drip Stick” but we don’t usually see that sort of thing in the WWE Universe of late and those sorts of differences should always have him heading for the door, demanding to talk to Tony Khan, etc. It would probably be hilarious.

 

Something that wasn’t so funny, or at least wasn’t intended to be, was word of what was pitched to Adam Cole if he were to get called up to WWE. The idea was for him to be Keith Lee’s loudmouth manager. Now, I know everyone says what a waste of a wrestler but I can see WWE’s thinking. The bulk of WWE fans don’t know who Cole is or only know of him. I caught his match with Pat McAfee and look who got the call up first. That’s how the WWE works. You have to come out and entertain. I thought McAfee was amazing. And I wholly hope that he and Corey Graves get into unofficial fights backstage at some point. Survivor Series is a great place to start that. Though Cole got the win, I was not impressed. People are not going to care that he’s a great wrestler. Look at Kevin Owens. I know that ship might sail but while he’s here, let’s just compare. He’s a mess in the ring. Never been pretty but he gets the job done and he’s entertaining. I give a shit that his wrestling isn’t the best. He can still have a solid match and he’s funny. That’s all it really takes in the WWE Universe. I never got that from Adam Cole and the manager angle could have morphed into matches but I get that he wants to wrestle. The truth of the matter is that given his “regular guy” look, those unfamiliar won’t work too hard to like him. He’d have to essentially start again and win people over. At least at AEW, fans know who he is.

 

That kinda brings us to tonight’s SmackDown. Brock Lesnar will make good on his contracted appearances. He’s going come through and knock some people around. Uncle Edge and Seth Rollins will go another round and we’ll see how Roman Reigns responds to all these “changes”. Becky Lynch will also show us the new and improved Becks. Early reports are promising. Sounds like WWE is being WWE so that AEW can be AEW. If both parties are smart, that’s how it should continue. Funny tweets and Likes get retweeted. Enjoy your Friday night.

 

 

See You in a Bit,

-Nicole Alexis (^_~)





Comments