SmackDown Offers Some Seasons Greetings...

Happy Friday, Enthusiasts!



I hope the week went well for you. I have to say, it would be wrong for me to complain. As for news in the Wrestling World, you know as well as I do there are at least a couple things to talk about. Let’s get right into it, shall we.



So, let’s just lead with the big news. Mandy Rose was released this week due to explicit content she was posting to one of her fan sites. Now, what appears to be the kicker here is that this seems to have been sudden. It doesn’t sound like she was spoken to before this. It was discovered and she was subsequently released. I’m not sure what the fine print on her contract is, but she may have some room for legal recourse but I doubt it goes that way. 



This seems more like Rose is being made example of to a certain degree. There was already the talk of having a fan site being forbidden in the WWE Universe. They eased up on it but it looks like WWE is cracking down again, at least depending on what someone is posting. Rose may have crossed the line with the risqué content, which I can understand to a point.



WWE and pro-wrestling in general tends to attract a questionable element and to play into the unsavoriness opens the door to problems. In Rose’s case, I would think the issue would be bad press. She gets the attention she does for her looks, though she isn’t bad in the ring which is a far cry from someone like Eva Marie. So, WWE may have wanted to keep her the “wrestling hottie” but if she’s bordering on turning tricks online, that’s not the press they want in this day and age. WWE is just getting out from under various sexual assaults claims, the most recent of which coming from the former Chairman. They don’t need any more attention on that sort of slippery slope. I kinda don’t blame them for the hair trigger response. People are so easily offended these days. I’m pretty sure Rose will be fine. She’ll probably even be back in a couple years.



To keep on topic of fringe Ladies, word is that the main point of contention regarding Sasha Banks’ WWE departure was money. She wanted Charlotte Flair and Becky Lynch money. Interesting how Bayley isn’t mentioned. I get the feeling she and Banks make about the same. Well, though Banks has plenty of fans and can wrestle I can’t say that I have to see her. I don’t have to see Lynch or Charlotte either but they do seem to bring about the “Big Match” feel. Banks has never really grabbed me on that level. Not sure why. Her size makes it hard for me to take her seriously. I have the same problem with Lynch but Lynch appears to make up for it with her performance. Banks not so much. I can’t buy a lot of it because she’s 20 pounds. If she wants more street cred, she needs to play more angles and make it seem like she wins by “any means necessary” or something. There’s just something missing. And like I keep saying, authenticity is key. Though you can make arguments for her, we generally don’t put her on the same level as Charlotte and Lynch. It is what it is. 



The other bit of news traveling the grapevine is that Mr. Vince McMahon is hoping to make a comeback at some point. If I were him, I wouldn’t bother, at least not right now. Most people like the new landscape and commenters are fretting that this rumor has any validity. Given that’s the tone, I would just work behind the scenes on the down-low. Produce segments and such and see what works. Once he has enough product working, then it can be revealed he was behind all those hits people praised and a lot of people would have to eat their words. It would be quite telling if they change their mind the minute they know the truth, in either direction. A lot of fans don’t realize their fickle nature has been and can be witnessed. No one will listen if we flip on a dime. If he makes us like it, he makes us like it. That’s the only way he really wins here. 



There’s more to talk about but those are the main bullet points for me. I won’t be watching tonight again and probably not the next week. The Holidays and other business has hijacked my schedule but I will be catching up on Saturdays. Feel free to do the same. I’m sure many of you have switched up schedules to accommodate as well. It comes with this time of year.



As for SmackDown, it looks like we have a couple of Title Matches to look forward to. GUNTHER will have at Ricochet again for the Intercontinental Title. The Ladies will have their offering in the Tag Team Titles as Iyo Sky and Dakota Kai take on Tegan Nox and Liv Morgan. We’re also supposed to get some Tag Team Triple Threat action as The Viking Raiders, Legado del Fantasma and Hit Row keep themselves fresh and loose. And Roman Reigns is supposed to be in attendance somewhere along with some more spooky greetings from Bray Wyatt. Don’t spoil it for it for me. I’ll catch up tomorrow around 5pm or 6pm PST. Join in if your schedule forces you to recap too.



See You Soon,

-Nicole Alexis (^_~)







Comments