SmackDown Closes 2022...

Happy New Year, Enthusiasts!


Well, no one is surprised not many people tuned in for a WWE clip show on Monday but I’m curious what the numbers will be tonight because it does appear tonight’s SmackDown will be live. I was under the impression it would be a pre-recorded affair. How nice to realize I was mistaken.



In any case, there is stuff going on in the Wrestling World but much of it doesn’t pique my interest. Like WWE’s acquisition of Dragon Lee for instance. I’ve never heard of him so my feelings are flat on the matter but seeing he’s a Luchador, it’s nice to see that they’re still open to all palatable styles. I hope it works out for the both of them.



In CM Punk news, it appears that he is open to a reconciliation with AEW. Given his last few public appearances, he seems to have a sense of humor about the whole thing which strangely makes me feel that I am spot on about the whole hullabaloo being a work gone bad. People don’t fully grasp kayfabe these days. A lot of people take all this too seriously so a wrestler trying to play with the concept has to be very careful they’re not taken too seriously. That’s why humor tends to be an effective lubricant for more experimental angles. He probably should have been more comically over the top so people got the “joke”, you know?



Regardless, we’ll see what happens. I still think WWE getting the joke and letting him back in could work if they allow themselves to make fun of themselves and their histories. Punk could always be WWE’s Phantom of the Opera.



The only other bit of news of note is that AJ Styles may have gotten injured at a house show recently. Sites are citing fan footage in regards to a leg injury. That’s unfortunate. Hopefully, it’s not so bad to keep him out of the Royal Rumble. It’s nice to see everybody at those. 



All right, that’s all that’s going on that I care to talk about. Tonight’s SmackDown boasts the return of John Cena. He’ll pair with Kevin Owens to take on the Bloodline representatives in Roman Reigns and Sami Zayn. This should be a fun one if they let it be. Also slated for tonight, Lacey Evans begins to set her sights on the Women’s Locker Room. Sheamus takes on Solo Sikoa and Ronda Rousey will defend the Women’s Title against Raquel Rodriguez. 



Fans should be pretty thirsty tonight so hopefully WWE takes full advantage. I’ll certainly be ready to have some fun tonight to begin ringing in the New Year. I suggest you all do the same. 



See You in a Bit,

-Nicole Alexis (^_~)






Comments