SummerSlam Is Here & Has a Lot of Work to Do...

Happy Saturday, Enthusiasts!

 

So, before we get into SummerSlam, let’s just get CM Punk out of the way first. I can see why people like him. He is a great orator and you can see that he feels deeply about this profession. It’s easy to see how WWE could have “led him astray” both in kayfabe and real time. Given that, I hope this run is a good one. It seems to be for the right reasons and oftentimes, that’s half the battle so, I’m happy for him. I hope this relights the flame he had for professional wrestling. I admit that what WWE has to offer is not exactly the same thing.

 

The backbone is there, though and it will be up to them to decide how much they want to honor the tradition. So far, from what I can deduce the homage is done in some of the slapsticky bits. That’s like a nod to the old-timey way of putting on a wrestling show, I think. That’s definitely my interpretation. As for the passion, well we can all see it’s been lacking but there are glimmers of hope.

 

AEW coming up the ranks is giving WWE a slight run for its money. Last night’s Rampage looked a lot more like a TV show too. It didn’t feel like a high school stadium. They’re starting to get into the rearview. WWE tends to like competitors out of sight. How they respond will be quite interesting.

 

The thing we have to give WWE is that they’re stacked talent wise. AEW is starting to look quite formidable but I find I don’t really have to watch in real time. I don’t mind catching my bits and pieces later. I think that may be the big hurdle going forward. I wouldn’t say it’s “must see TV”. RAW & SmackDown aren’t either but the time is already set aside for them. The question now is should one make another allocation, or drop something?

 

Right now, the “competition” has me slightly hooked because what we’re looking at is a very American dichotomy. It’s the Cool Kids vs. The Misfits, The Jocks vs. the Drama Club. AEW champions the untraditional wrestler, the every-person with a dream. WWE is looking for stars. Now, you can be the “every man” type in WWE but you’ll have to work twice as hard because you have to prove to Joe Schmoe you’re someone to contend with. It’s a different animal entirely and you have to be made of a sturdy stuff to handle it. It can be quite cold and unforgiving in the WWE Universe.

 

So, all in all, I think this may be the best thing for CM Punk. He can focus on the wrestling and not on whether he’s over or selling in the ring and out. He’s got a following, no doubt. I respect that. Don’t fully understand it but I won’t tread upon it. The affection appears genuine and that must be honored. Good luck to him and may he invade WWE with AEW before his career ends. I’m all for the middle ground 😉

 

And now, here we are at SummerSlam, serving almost as an after-thought. I don’t think there’s anything WWE can really do about that at this point because they inadvertently put all this into motion. As I’ve said, AEW is the culmination of all of WWE’s failures. Will they come round to haunt them? I don’t really think it needs to come to that but we all know there are plenty of people who have chosen their side.

 

So, how does WWE keep up? Well, that will be the draw this time around. What do they offer to follow-up CM Punk dropping in AEW? All I can suggest is let’s hope they don’t try too hard. No one they trot out will equal that moment. Punk is kinda the last real Super Star, wrestling-wise. Everyone else is too old or bound to WWE and will soon be too old. I don’t even think Daniel Bryan showing up in either AEW or WWE would equal the response CM Punk got. It was a true homecoming and that is just tough to beat, when it comes to a moment. They’re best just sticking to putting on a solid show. WWE still has plenty of talent. Now, more than ever they should think on how to put them to good use.

 

That makes this Saturday night potentially very interesting. I won’t bore you with going match by match but there are 2 or 3 that I think will be quite telling about how things proceed after SummerSlam.

 

The obvious focal point is Goldberg vs. Bobby Lashley. Seems kinda ridiculous at this point, right? I think the only thing that might spice that one up now is a last minute change that brings Brock Lesnar back to the scene. Maybe Goldberg is “hurt” backstage and Paul Heyman is strangely absent, ruffling all of Roman Reigns’ feathers. It would be just as good a time as ever because even if Goldberg is a draw, it’s a hollow one. Those are the people just looking for carnage. They go to the racetrack looking for a crash. Might as well make it a ticket you missed out on rather than one that could have been money better spent.

 

WWE is at a crossroads because what AEW may pull away are the quality fans. We all know that the WWE Universe can be a pretty shitty place and it’s mainly due to what’s allowed. That’s their fault. We’ll have to see if they can start showing the fans a bit more respect in order to demand some as well.

 

The other match that may need to be reconsidered is Alexa Bliss vs. Eva Marie, especially if they plan to keep pushing the supernatural gimmick.

 

Again, people are watching right now. CM Punk was very compelling. WWE has been skirting by for years. It’s a put up or shut up kind of time whether anyone likes it or not. WWE still has the talent but will it put it to the best use to get an awesome PPV out of them? That’s what we’re going to watch for and if they fail AEW, I would think, just about wins. They’ll at least try to make the most of the talent. If WWE doesn’t deliver, it’s safe to assume they may no longer know how. What’s the point in staying? You watch at your own risk at that point. They forfeit the game. How Eva Marie and Bliss goes down could be very telling for how these “battles” play out in the future.

 

Another telling match may also be Drew McIntyre vs. Jinder Mahal. I’ve been wrong before, but I wouldn’t be surprised if this is a sort of sleeper hit. I wouldn’t doubt these gentlemen see the writing on the wall. They aren’t trying to look bad under these circumstances. They want to keep options open, I’m sure. Given their history, I think they may just leave it all in/out there. This one raises an eyebrow with what’s now in play.

 

That’s my take on things. Punk certainly changed the tone. No pressure but he better not suck in the ring. Given the high smarks are riding on, that would be a disappointment they wouldn’t take lightly. Conversely, if WWE doesn’t show it knows what’s it’s doing, confidence in it will drop even more and they would have basically handed the game to AEW. At least AEW is making good moves right now. WWE is confounding onlookers left and right. I can’t say I would try to presume the true goings-on but I can’t say I’m not intrigued. I don’t even really like popcorn, but I feel I should get some ready. Don’t think that’s a bad thing.

 

Funny tweets and Likes get retweeted. Enjoy the show if you still care to watch. As you can see, I’m not going anywhere anytime soon but I will be catching more of what this here, AEW has to offer. I’m thinking it could be worse.

 

 

See You in a Bit,

-Nicole Alexis (^_~)




Comments