SmackDown Takes It Easy Going in to SummerSlam...

A Good Friday to You, Enthusiasts!

 

It’s a strange time Go Home Show wise. SmackDown seems to be downplaying itself in anticipation of bigger news happening over at AEW. With Rampage being held in CM Punk’s hometown of Chicago, everybody is basically waiting for his debut.

 

I’m relatively unmoved since I never really got a chance to get into Punk. Just as I was beginning to warm up to him, he left WWE. So, I kinda don’t know what the big fuss is about but I respect that there is a fuss. Hey, I tried to get on the bandwagon. Dude, bailed.

 

Now, he’s poised to debut at AEW and I’m lukewarm on it but, I’ll give him a solid shot. That’s what I did the first time around and I’m more than willing to become a fan. I guess the question becomes, how long does he stay? It’s clear we all will see.

 

So, in response to all this, WWE has gone more or less dark. Little to nothing has been advertised for SmackDown, though we have SummerSlam tomorrow. It’s an interesting move and I can understand it. It’s hard to counter CM Punk coming back to wrestling. If WWE wasn’t in the midst of restructuring, they probably would have done whatever they could to make it happen on their end but it’s too clear they’re going in a different direction and don’t really want to deal with Punk anymore. So, what will they offer?

 

It’s hard to say. We all know there are no more legends to resurrect, anyone who was anybody is officially too old. John Cena and the The Rock don’t count because they’re to be expected at this point so, we really shouldn’t be surprised that WWE is in overhaul mode. Circumstances have appeared to conspire to force their hand and I think we can all basically agree that this was inevitable. To be honest, I’m surprised they were able to drag it out as long as they did. They got away with a lot for a long time. We should be very glad they ran out of road. If there was any left, they’d still be on it without a doubt.

 

So, that leaves us to sit back and see who does the best with what they got. Commenters were kinda “meh” on this week’s Dynamite. So, tonight has to deliver for AEW. WWE just has to take notes and see if they can keep pace on Saturday. This is kinda strange. It’s like WWE is graduating from Checkers to play Chess. Will AEW be game or stick to Checkers? Well, I’ll be honest, I never learned to play Chess. It’s something I would have to watch for a while so I understood how exactly it worked so, no incentive to take the time. Yet, that doesn’t mean it wouldn’t interest me once I caught on.

 

I guess what I’m trying to say is that WWE shouldn’t attempt to be too clever. WWE Fans aren’t looking for Chaucer or Shakespeare yet at the same time, that doesn’t mean sharper content wouldn’t be appreciated. Burns and jabs work best in the WWE Universe. We like to see the juke or witness how someone got screwed. That’s what gets our attention. Will WWE keep that in mind as it crafts its new model?

 

And as for AEW, will it become the safe haven for the independent wrestler? Is that where you go if you’d rather not “sell out” and take your chances with WWE? That’s how it’s looking so far but will it come to be? Some feel it is already but I can’t trust AEW diehards. They read too much like they’re delusional but at the same time, I can see the potential and I don’t see the harm in it getting achieved. Let us see what comes to pass and who will maintain overall. Funny tweets get retweeted and as for Likes, well, I think too many people may be distracted at the moment but let’s just try to have fun. It’s a little too early to say how all this will actually play out but I’m all for the ride.

 

 

See You in a Bit,

-Nicole Alexis (^_~)





Comments