SmackDown Shows Where to Set the Bar...

 How’s It Going, Enthusiasts?

 

Happy Friday! So, there are few things we can talk about. I’m pretty sure you already know what they are. Let’s not waste time, let’s get into it.

 

The big bit of news is how AEW has done what WWE probably wouldn’t and put Malakai Black over in a big way. Cody Rhodes completed his part and took a back seat to elevate Black. I’ve seen mostly praise and to be honest, I am glad for Black. But at the same time, I wasn’t exactly impressed.

 

There are times I’m wondering what AEW fans are looking at. Are they so jaded by WWE that they’ll sing the praises of anything else? Like, anything? Yes, they allow wrestlers more creative freedom but has anyone ever considered that some wrestlers’ ideas may not work for a live audience? Now, AEW has an asterisk by it because its fans are more general wrestling fans so, they’ll appreciate a more Indy perspective.

 

I’m a WWE fan and I admit it’s not the same. To the layperson I’m just the same but to wrestling fans, they know we’re different. I don’t mind this. As I’ve said before, I know why I’m here. This is more for energy release than it is for the love of wrestling. I think that’s fine if you’re honest about it. Don’t say you’re a wrestling fan and only watch WWE. That means you don’t know what a wrestling fan is.

 

My point is, given how I’m more of a reflection of the general populous and not of wrestling fans, my perspective is decidedly different. As all the AEW fans couldn’t speak more of how Rhodes did a great job of raising Black to prominence, I thought it was lacking in plenty. Say what you will about WWE, they do have great production values. AEW makes me feel like I’m watching something in a high school gym.

 

So, seeing how everyone “loves” what AEW is doing with Black, I think we can all agree that he deserves better in that case. I know not to expect him back at WWE anytime in the immediate future but maybe in a year or 2. Let him earn a title, gain some accolades and then the push for reacquiring him to WWE should begin. By then, WWE may be able to implement some more “incentives” for wrestlers so that they’re not just sitting in catering.

 

I get that AEW is more willing to give people a chance but it’s a platform that, at present, doesn’t really do some of their stars justice. This is one of the reasons I want PAC to return to WWE as well. He’s on another level and that deserves a bigger platform. WWE has to swallow its pride in some regards and give performers like that a reason to work for and stay with WWE. They have the means to take anyone further. AEW is still trying to establish that and it may take many years. I’m rooting for them. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with some healthy competition but I don’t think there’s actual competition yet. I’m in that camp. AEW is 2nd rate but it has great potential. WWE is 1st rate but it limits itself in many degrees. Their juxtaposition may be just the thing that enables both of them to reach greater heights. Neither of which is a bad thing.

 

So, all in all, what I’m saying is let’s just be honest. I know that Black can do better because what they were building in WWE was better. They messed up with him and should wallow in it for a bit but thankfully for WWE, AEW just can’t match them yet in presentation. AEW may treat the wrestlers better and may be willing to let them do more of their own thing but there’s still a lot to be desired. I don’t doubt they can get there but don’t lie to me and say that they’ve made it. It’s still a rough watch for me. I can at least get through RAW even with their lame segments. At least it looks like a real TV show.

 

All right, all that said, I did watch a good bit of this week’s Dynamite. Maybe it’s because the bulk of the matches had former WWE wrestlers in them, surprise-surprise. I’m not knocking it, though. If anything, it proves my point. I wouldn’t mind seeing Christian come back and Miro/Rusev when he’s ready. Christian knows how to sell to the screen and Miro just has the right look and the talent to back it up. Remember, he caught flak for breaking kayfabe. He wasn’t just forgotten about.

 

Speaking of former WWE wrestlers, rumor has it that WWE is keeping an eye on whose contracts are up in AEW. Could some reacquisitions be coming? I haven’t seen any other talents that may catch WWE’s eye. I’ll say that Orange Cassidy proved more talented than I gave him credit for but he’s not the WWE type. So, I’m figuring, they’re looking to bring some folks back but we will see.

 

Anyway, let’s get to why I usually post these. Tonight’s SmackDown may be more action packed than the usual No Man’s Land show. The Boss, Sasha Banks, is back to make claims on the Women’s Title. Finn Balor is going to get some ring action with Baron Corbin. That should be an interesting one and we’ll see whatever else they got for us. Funny tweets and Likes get retweeted. We shouldn’t be too upset with tonight’s offering. Maybe they’re preparing for the debut of Rampage next week. Trying to give people a reason to not watch rather than be the pre-show? We’ll be watching what goes down.


See You in a Bit,

-Nicole Alexis (^_~)






PS: I got an article out. I say some things on Edge's options. It shouldn't be a surprise if you know what's going on. Have a look if you're curious.



Comments