SmackDown Lays the Final Touches for Hell in a Cell...

How’s Everyone Doing?

 

It’s Friday, so I would hope most are ready to put their feet up. There’s quite a bit going on in the wrestling world so, let’s not dally.

 

The first bit of news is of the sad variety. Brian Pillman, Jr.’s mother, Melanie, passed this week. The vague details lead me to presume this may have been suicide, but I haven’t heard anything definitive just yet. It’s too bad. I saw the Dark Side of the Ring episode on Pillman, Sr. and this seems a bit tragic. It’s unfortunate how self-destruction can permeate one’s life. It can all seem so hopeless sometimes but that is often a state of mind. Let us hope that this gives Pillman, Jr. the proper motivation to set more positive structures in his life. This may be easier said than done but in the name of survival, it may behoove him. My sincere condolences.

 

Sticking with AEW news, the biggest buzz is hovering over MJF. Is it a shoot or a work? Apparently, he has been removed from AEW’s roster. Does that mean he debuts in WWE at Summer Slam? I don’t know. Personally, I think MJF and Tony Khan should play up this story more. I’m not sure WWE is really in the mood for MJF just yet. Not that he couldn’t fit in but in my opinion, the only real setup is with The Miz. Given that, I feel if MJF were to make the jump, I think The Miz should be on the way out. I say that primarily because The Miz isn’t a great wrestler. He never was. The point was always to rock the mic with him. He knows how to shamelessly entertain but he’s never been a great in-ring performer. MJF isn’t the greatest but he’s a better wrestler than The Miz, no question. So, at present, the only benefit to MJF jumping over to WWE would be to take The Miz’s place. The Miz doesn’t exactly have to hang it up, though. He could probably transfer to the Announce Table and maybe be a backstage correspondent from time to time, sabotaging things in the Heels’ favor. He could let the new kid take all the bumps and bruises as he stays TV ready.

 

So, all that being said, MJF may have more fun career-wise in AEW for the time being as WWE continues to rethink itself. By the time MJF’s AEW contract is up, who knows, The Miz may be ready to spend less time in the ring or become just an on-screen performer and segue out of in-ring play, leaving the open door for MJF to waltz right in. Naturally, they should not like each other and have barbs ready to trade at every meeting but the change of the guard should more or less become clear. This I could very easily live with. We’ll see what actually transpires.

 

There’s been talk that a lot of the AEW roster is reconsidering jumping over to WWE given how Cody Rhodes has been handled. I think that’s a little soon to be changing tunes. Rhodes and WWE had a fractured relationship and how things played out lent itself to reconciliation. I truly think Rhodes is back where he belongs and this long journey is the only way he was going to get the consideration that he always wanted. I get it. WWE goes for the obvious. If you’re a regular looking dude, you have to work your ass right off to prove there’s more to you than boredom. I don’t doubt Rhodes did that and still didn’t get a serious shot. So, he went off and helped create an alternative company. A company where he could be top billed for once.  Yet, that company is more concerned with the art that is “pro-wrestling”. Rhodes is a “sports entertainer”. Primarily, because his training was under WWE. Pro-wrestling is a suggestion but they would prefer you be entertaining.

 

Unless other members of the AEW roster have a similar backstory, I don’t see their WWE acquisition getting the same attention or care. Rhodes’ story plays more like an estranged son or nephew returning to the family. Most of the AEW roster are respectable wrestlers, but to the WWE fan, many wouldn’t be recognized. They would have to reintroduce themselves all over and there’s no guarantee they would be well-received. I’m not going to say Rhodes is a one off, but I feel that anyone coming over to WWE from AEW would have a better chance if they started in WWE in the first place.

 

So, for me, I’m waiting for the return of Bryan Danielson/Daniel Bryan, Jon Moxley/Dean Ambrose, Malakai/Aleister Black and PAC. I think those guys are the ones who have the best chance at a 2nd run in WWE. I could be wrong but I wouldn’t be surprised if I’m right.

 

Speaking of 2nd runs, there’s talk that Cesaro may return to WWE. That’s good to hear, to me. I don’t think he was ever really given a fair chance but I understand why. Cesaro reads as bland but that doesn’t mean he can’t do his job. I still think they should present him just as he is, an underestimated gem. Let him seem like a classy, jetsetter. Let him speak all 5 languages they say he knows and show him being the party we missed out on. After matches, he’s chatting with attractive internationals, planning for the night out after. Talking shit about people in languages we don’t speak. Maybe they jet over to Milan for a party planned for the next night. He’s doesn’t have time after the match. He’s got so much going on, all over the world. So sorry, text him later. He’ll get back to you. I think that would be fair compensation for viewing him as “dull” all these years. We just didn’t get him. Our loss.

 

Anyway, that brings us to tonight’s SmackDown. It is the Go Home Show for Hell in a Cell and though we’re all waiting for Rhodes vs. Seth Rollins we’ve still got some other things going on. Riddle and Shinsuke Nakamura will see if they can take those Unified Tag TeamTitles off of The Usos. The Ladies will have a 6-Woman-Tag for some bragging rights and MadCap Moss will return after that walloping Baron Corbin gave him. For all else, you’ll have to make time to watch. Funny tweets and Likes get retweeted. The job is to ramp up the interest for Sunday but SmackDown may not have the proper motivation. Let’s see if they light a fire anyway.

 

 

See You in a Bit,

-Nicole Alexis (^_~)





Comments