RAW Commences Fallout - SummerSlam 2023

What’s Going On, Enthusiasts?


Everything going good for you? Well, SummerSlam has come and went and though it wasn’t their best PPV/PLE, I wouldn’t exactly call it bad. I just think some matches didn’t work but the intent to cleanly execute was there. Things just didn’t come together as hoped. We got some Industry news to go over too so, let’s jump into it.



So, a couple of things before diving into SummerSlam. Word is going around that WWE may have already signed Brian Pillman, Jr. Reports circling the trades are saying that Pillman has been seen at the Performance Center and that he’s set for a NXT taping. Again, I know too little about him to fully comment but from what I see going around, Pillman could use some direction. We’ll see if WWE is the right next step.



Also, going around is that Logan Paul made it to see his brother Jake in action against Nate Diaz later Saturday evening. There’s video going around that shows Logan Paul getting into it with some fans in the crowd. Guess that’s just fitting seeing how they’re going “punk-ass” Heel with him. It’s working so…I suppose many of us remain conflicted. I can see how this shouldn’t work out as much as it does. We’ll see if he makes the most of this waking dream.



So, that allows me to segue into SummerSlam. As we all know, Paul opened the festivities with his match against Ricochet. The way the night played out, I can’t help but feel that giving Paul the dirty win was the right call. His brother won his match too by decision so, they both pat each other on the back for questionable victories. Works for the gimmick.



Let me just take a quick moment to admit I mistook Kid Rock's "performance". The way people were talking, I was under the impression he'd be performing, not just doing a pre-filmed, cold open. What's wrong with that? I understand not everyone agrees with his politics but it was what? 5 minutes long, tops? Seems like a little much to get your panties in a bunch over, in my opinion.



In any case, most would say that Brock Lesnar vs. Cody Rhodes was Match of the Night. I would have to agree, complete wardrobe malfunction and all. I don’t know how Lesnar’s shorts got all cut up but he was practically bottomless by the end of the match. Regardless, both gentleman executed a solid wrestling match. They paced it really well so we we’re all pulled in by its conclusion.



I especially commend Rhodes using a rational offense. He blitzed Lesnar from the start, making it believable that he kept Lesnar off-balance and was generally using a strategy to defeat his opponent. Being the “Everyman” in this scenario, he has to do something to get the jump on the bigger, stronger Lesnar. This sort of thing is what makes the unfamiliar, familiar to new onlookers. The both of them nailed their assignment and so Lesnar’s kudos to Rhodes at the end was well-deserved. This was one of the better matches I’ve seen Lesnar work.



It’s also pretty unanimously felt that the Battle Royale and Ronda Rousey vs. Shayna Baszler matches fell the flattest. The Battle Royale just didn’t work. There were a lot of spots early on with very little action. It’s like anyone who didn’t know what to do with themselves acted “dazed and confused”. Unfortunately, that was about 75% of the participants. Had a lot of live, dead-air. Yet, it all coming around to give LA Knight the win seemed to make up for it so, mission accomplished 😉



As for Baszler vs. Rousey, I think it just wasn’t what the people wanted. I know I really didn’t have any desire to see them “fight” but perhaps a “Street Fight” may have worked better. That match basically confirmed that WWE Fans don’t want to watch an MMA fight or at least, not when they paid to watch wrestling. So, it’s probably best to play up the “fighting” angle as opposed to try for an MMA bout. We’re just not interested. But if they broke down into a knock-down, drag ‘em out fight, that traveled and all that, creatively used props like trash cans, backstage stuff and the like, I think they could have had a blast.



Moreover, I feel kinda bad for Baszler. I know they’re trying to get her over and she has the chops but I feel this showing could be a good argument for Baszler and Sonya Deville to feud at some point. That may have to wait, though as word is Deville is out for who knows how long with a torn ACL. Baszler just can’t catch a break. All I can suggest is that they let her go a little nuts. She could be done “dancing” and just want to get out there and fight. In that scenario, it’s whatever works so, hopefully they can find someone who could bounce off that. Zoey Stark maybe in the future? Just throwing ideas out there.



I’ll close my thoughts on SummerSlam with the Bloodline Saga. This chapter was certainly not the most compelling but that doesn’t mean it didn’t hold interest but somewhat displayed my point of what to do in the event Jey Uso does win. Though he is rooted for, storywise, where does it go? I think that may be why they opted for Jimmy Uso’s surprise return. 



Yet, I hope they don’t just go with the “Jimmy’s jealous” angle. I think given that Jimmy started the usurpation, Jimmy should feel more slighted. Jey jumped on an opportunity that wouldn’t have been there if Jimmy didn’t step up to Roman Reigns in the first place. Naturally, Jey counters with his actions being in defense of his brother and the family but will Jimmy hear him? I think the next showdown is Uso vs. Uso and that would allow Reigns to further float off into his delusions of supremacy. 



This is also a good place for Solo Sikoa to position himself well if he wants any political clout in the family. Though I feel it’s obvious he’ll walk alone at some point, I can see him doing his best to keep to the family credos until a true leader shows him/herself. This is what leads me to hope for the Elders ultimately coming through and reestablishing order, potentially with or through Paul Heyman, when the time is right. As with all things in the WWE Universe, there will be times when they’re a solid unit and others when they’re fractured. I feel what we are witnessing is the beginning of the “real saga” to come and if that is the case, there will be lulls in the storytelling from time to time. That’s what I’m going to chalk this SummerSlam’s performance up to for now.



And so, that brings us to tonight’s RAW. We will see the Fallout from Saturday’s happenings and see how they lead us into the future. We can expect to hear from Cody Rhodes early on. There will be a Fatal-4-Way to see who gets the next shot at the Intercontinental Championship. 



Given the showing at SummerSlam, I would say Drew McIntyre should be allowed to flip the switch here and just go full heel. He’s better as the StepDad from Hell anyway. I would think the loss would serve as a big enough chip on his shoulder. I would have him crash and force a rematch but that’s just me. 



Becky Lynch will get back to hating on Trish Stratus. Seth Rollins will strut through to see who’s the new challenger for his shiny prize and we’ll see if the Judgment Day can work on keeping Finn Bálor out of his own way. I’ll be watching along per usual during the 8 o’clock hour on the West Coast. You’re always welcome if you’re able to join the fun.



See You in a Bit,

-Nicole Alexis (^_~)






Comments