Clash at the Castle - Matches of Interest

How Are You Doing, Enthusiasts?


What did I miss? Anything good? Well, since I know I’ll be joining after the fact, I figured I might as well knock this out sooner than later. You all know how this sector of the world works. After it’s done, who cares? Yeah, we can play it back but it’s always about what’s next. 



So, what’s next? I don’t know and I’m not sure WWE knows either. That’s kinda what’s cool about this time. It’s genuine new territory. And territory we couldn’t get to under the old regime. It is a New Era. 



But does that mean it’s better? So far, so good. Yet, this evening should show whether we’re on the right track or need some retooling. Here are my matches of interest. 



First, the Ladies offer Piper Niven vs. Bayley and if you ask me, it could go either way. What’s interesting about this is that we have recent commentary from Eric Bischoff stating that Bayley isn’t up to snuff. Her promos should be better is all I really heard. Her matches are solid, though so, it’s coming down to a matter of preference.



However, Piper Niven may be more of a general “full package” as she speaks well and gets it out there. She’s not afraid of throwing down and it being in Scotland, I wouldn’t be surprised if Niven gets the nod. 



I’ve come to this conclusion because I’m not sure what the next challenge is for Bayley as is. With things as they are, there’s no real story. She’s just defending the Title. Yes, she had to overcome to do so but we’re at a “Now what?...” crossroads. What do they do now? Well, giving Bayley a new mountain to climb might be it. In the meantime, Niven had to put up with being “Doudrop” and got her old name back. She’s got some shit to prove, no doubt and seeing how we’re not always in Scotland, this may be a good promotion to give. We’ll see what they do.



Next, the other “hometown boy” in Drew McIntyre vs. Damian Priest. This got interesting because according to reports, McIntyre’s wife is in the hospital due to needing “emergency surgery”. If this is real, this colors the whole match differently. If WWE was planning on McIntyre taking another L, circumstances may have forced them to reconsider. If this is all kayfabe, then the move should blow-up in McIntyre’s face. 



There’s no real reason for us to believe this isn’t true but the nature of the beast is never to trust it. Makes moments like this hard to figure. Regardless, Priest has been admirable in his holding the title so far and I’m not opposed to him continuing. Don’t be surprised if there’s some sort of DQ/* type ending here. Keeping things open-ended may be best for now.



So, that leaves us with the proposed main event in AJ Styles vs. Cody Rhodes. Well, we know how the Crowd feels. But what about AJ Styles? When does he get his? When’s the next big one in Atlanta? I think if this goes Rhodes’ way, which I’m not upset if it does, then Styles needs to be done some sort of solid. He needs a win somewhere. That’s how I’d do it. Next time they have a PPV or maybe Go Home SmackDown in or around Atlanta, that should be Styles’ “kick back” so to speak. 



I don’t know if it’s the Universal/Undisputed Title either. Perhaps he jumps ship somehow and shoots for the Heavyweight or stuns Sami Zayn for the Intercontinental. Doubt anyone would hate him taking the US Championship from Logan Paul. There are ways to do this is all I’m saying. I get that people love Cody Rhodes but AJ Styles is not chopped liver. He’s doing way better with a Heel turn than I thought possible and his work in the ring is undeniable. He’s a guy you get better with in that regard. It should stand for something. If it goes the way we think, let’s just hope they pay Styles back in good time.



And so, that’s what I’m thinking. I don’t think I’m being too radical. Kinda too old for that. Life tends to show the path of least resistance tends to win out for a reason. Going against the grain takes work. You better have a point. We’ll see how WWE negotiates these facts of life now. I think we’re beginning to realize that’s what really makes this interesting.



See You In a Bit,

-Nicole Alexis (^_~)








Comments