SMACKIN’ IT DOWN… What Happened Last (Tuesday) Night… Sept. 12th, 2014

I like this new foot the WWE is stepping out on.  Commentary about the internet isn’t completely approving but isn’t that the job of the critic, to criticize?  I’ll say it sucks when I wholeheartedly feel that way but at the same time, I think it’s clear I merely need to be entertained, especially early on a Friday night and more pleasantly than usual, I was.



Tag Teaming-it seems to be the fad as of now and in certain respects, I don’t mind it.  The show kicks off with an 8-Man Tag Team match betwixt Big Show, Mark Henry and The Usos against Erick Rowan, Luke Harper and The Brothers Dust. All the while, Bray oversees from the entryway…contemplating?  This was a well-executed match.  The Usos set the fast, fun pace.  Big Show and Henry rightfully threw their weight around.  Naturally, there was some dissension within the Heel ranks and everyone was able to come together and present an exciting hoedown of sorts.  I found the gang-up on Mark Henry kinda funny, along with the 2-Man Suplex Gold/StarDust were able to pull off with Big Show.  My back would’ve hurt after that too (^_-) Good job, guys!

After that, we see Dad (Korporate Kane), Seth Rollins and Randy Orton plot their next Heel Attack against Roman Reigns.



Bo Dallas and Justin Gabriel then take the stage, mainly to hype up the building rivalry between Dallas & Jack Swagger.  Yosemite Sam – er I mean, Zeb Coulter had some choice words to say about Dallas’ choice words and Dallas in turn took Justin Gabriel to task. I’m not sure where they’re gonna ultimately go with Dallas but the manic demeanor could pave the way to interesting hijinks down the road.  We’ll see…

The Divas get into it next with Summer Rae and Paige going at it, Summer Rae donning royal colors for some reason in purple and gold.  It was surprising to see Summer Rae do more than just flail her arms and pull hair also.  AJ Lee provided colorful commentary alongside the boys as well.  I do like her on the side with the boys.  It allows for the crazy to be let out in more interesting ways.  She does get in the ring and rough up Layla, though and gets to talking shit a little but, Black Widow or not, she’s still 20 pounds wet.  She could easily get put in a trash can is all I’m saying.

Then we have the New Cold War heating up with a good ole arm wrestling match with Rusev and Mark Henry.  These types of match ups are fun because of their simplicity. It’s just Us vs Them and Them are obviously bad and must be beaten.  Or if you like the Heel, you’re like a Danny McBride character and just get a hard-on for being an asshole.  Hey, he makes a good living at it and can be funny as hell.  Though not quite that amusing, the match was still quite entertaining and drew the lines in the sand.  Choose where you stand.



What comes after that, I couldn't have conjured if I tried but was intrigued to see nevertheless.  These changes in Creative seem to be working out because, rather than looking like he just got out of prison, R-Truth joins the Ziggler Nation and sports the pink and neon along with the sparkly “manties” and for even stranger reasons, this works. Against The Miz and Damien “Mizdow”, it’s hard not to but, naturally that’s the point.  Given that, Ziggler and the newly dubbed “R-Ziggler” pick up the win.

Now, the Main Event was the Main Event but, I have to say I did like the idea of pairing Roman Reigns with Chris Jericho. It’s hidden in plain sight genius. Of course these 2 kinda go together.  Whether it’s simply show or show with a touch of realism, I enjoyed how Y2J played Old-Hand showing the Kid how it’s done.  It also allows some build-up to both the Jericho vs. Oroton and Reigns vs. Rollins matches at Night of Champions.  Yet, if Ambrose returns on the following RAW, that could serve as an indication at how the Reigns/Rollins match goes. Yet, if Rollins wins it better be by punk-ass means because, really?   Half the time, I think I could kick his ass.  He doesn't scare me.  Unless he busts out some Aikido or Jujitsu, I can’t even suspend my disbelief at him winning. Yet, they may just do it ‘cause they can.  As for Jericho and Orton...Orton started it so that leads me to believe Jericho will finish it so, it's hard to say.  But I digress.  All in all, Reigns & Jericho performed cleanly against Orton and Rollins, who did their Heel Duty.  The kinks appear to be getting ironed out and it’s comforting to see.  Though, I agree with the general thoughts being bandied about how SmackDown’s formula is getting a bit played out, I have some theories as to why that may be but…they’re a bit provocative and so, I’ll end with this.  Keep up the good work, whomever is pushing things in a more agreeable direction and perhaps, vary up the ways to keep everyone happy (^_~) See you Monday.




Comments