PUTTIN’ THAT SMACKDOWN…What Happened Last (Tuesday) Night (June 4th, 2015)



Hey there, Enthusiasts!  This week’s Smackdown was a bit of a this and that, as can happen, but I found myself more entertained than not.  Nothing too phenomenal went on but if you’re an avid Enthusiast, I’m sure you weren’t very upset with it.  I actually think we got some good action and though this seemed to favor the heels this time out, it was done in a way that built momentum for next week's RAW as we’ll want to see how those who fell, come back to redeem themselves.


We open in Houston, Texas a little differently this evening.  It appears Seth Rollins would like to have a little chat with us.  He wants us to understand something.  What I want everyone to understand is that I am the future.  I sided with The Authority because it was the best move.  Yes, you can’t deny there is strength in numbers but do I need them?  No.  I don’t need anybody!  When Wrestlemania came, I waited for my moment and I took it right when any intelligent champion would.  I cashed in my Money in the Bank contract and I defeated not only Brock Lesnar but Roman Reigns as well.  I did that by myself!   Well, now…Lesnar’s on some ranch and Reigns is waiting for his next chance and if I have anything to do with it, both of them will be waiting for a long time.  Now, I got Dean Ambrose on my ass.  He went and stole my belt, knowing that’s the only way he’ll ever have it and now I got to deal with him and reclaim what’s officially mine.  Just then the “big screen” lights up and we’ve got Ambrose somewhere backstage under a ladder.  I thought I heard someone talking about me.  Oh, so you must be looking for this.  Ambrose holds the Heavyweight Championship belt.  Yeah, I’ve grown kinda attached to it, myself.  You know, you keep saying you’re the “future of the company” and that you’re the “Heavyweight Champion” but I remember it differently.  After all, I did get the pin but your Authority ways keep it all unofficial.  You know, I don’t think the Authority does you as much good as you believe.  Matter of fact, I get the distinct impression having them at your beck and call has made you soft.  You think you’re holding it down but there’s always some Authority lackey right there to catch whatever falls through the cracks or clean up any mess.  But hey, I’m a fair man.  You want your title back.  You know where to find me.  I’ll be the guy on the other side of that ladder at Money in the Bank.  You got it all handled?  Then just come and get it.  


As openings go, it was a tad on the long side but I appreciate the WWE’s attempt to add poignancy.  Yes, We the Audience tend to be a more rough and tumble crowd but we evolve as does anything else.  We can handle some modicum of depth from time to time (^_~) Ambrose and Rollins have settled nicely into their personas and continue to do a great job of keeping their rivalry fresh.   I’m sure MITB will satisfy us adequately.

In any case, the first match of the night is a Tag Team Triple Threat between The Ascension, Lucha Dragons and Prime Time Players.   This was a nice little exchange that appeased any appetite for acrobatic fare.   I’m pretty sure I caught Sin Cara adding some extra flare by performing a side-to-side split on the ringfloor as Kalisto lept over to take somebody out.  The match is fast paced but it seems to flow well and everyone is fluid with their execution.  Yet, I would have to say that Titus O’Neil stole this segment of the show.  We haven’t seen the Prime Time Players in action in ages it seems and O’Neil definitely was feeling the energy.  Once he gets the hot-tag it’s a complete clean of house as he dispatches The Ascension and Lucha Dragons.  It’s Viktor of  The Ascension that takes the final hit as O’Neil clinches the win for the Prime Time Players.


After that, we get some squash action with Ryback taking on Stardust for whatever reason.  I commend Stardust on keeping to his wackiness but I fear Creative isn’t making better use of him.  Bray Wyatt may be a bit much to start but when it comes to the odd and bizarre, something maybe could be done with them.  Maybe he could take an interest in Erick Rowan and Luke Harper first and then get led in Wyatt’s direction for a bit?  Just thinking out loud. They’re the same kind of strange in a way.  Stardust is in a weird place because he’s top-tier, mid-card range but no one is really going that kind of weird.  Adam Rose comes close and though I have noticed that he is a better wrestler than you’d think, he’s definitely on the camp side with Heath Slater, Fandango and Zack Ryder.   Stardust may have to tone it down a slight bit or get a bit darker as opposed to crazy but I think hooking him up with Wyatt and kin could work.

To follow, we have the now NXT Open Challenge, seeing that Kevin Owens is the new US Champion.  He comes out to put the title on the line.  Who’s it gonna be!...Zack Ryder (Wah-Waaaah).   Well, that alone tells the tale and they do their dance so that Ryder can lose and we can move on.


The next match actually gets some interest because it’s Neville vs. Kofi Kingston.  This is a fun a little exchange.  With these nimble fellows, We know we will be dazzled with some high-flying action and we were not disappointed.   It was hard to know which way the match was going to go.  Kingston comes in with Big E. Langston and Xavier Woods in his corner as Neville has to deal solo.  This certainly comes into play a few times.  At one point, Neville gets Kingston dazed and sets up for the Red Arrow but Langston and Woods pull together and yank Kingston out the ring.  No matter, Neville simply switches gears and moonsaults onto all 3 of them.  He even lands on his feet.  He grabs hold of Kingston and tosses him back in the ring.  Woods makes a comical attempt to grab Neville but he deftly hops back in.  Kingston grabs him but Neville reverses into it into a pin.   Kingston kicks out but Neville proves wily and rolls Kingston into a sort of kneeling pin for 3.   You just can’t keep him down.

After some MizTV with Lana and Rusev leading to Ziggler showing that he is a consummate gentleman.  We have the main event with Sheamus taking on a busted up Roman Reigns.  Apparently, his ribs took some sort of beating.  He’s a trooper though and deals with a mean Sheamus.  Sheamus does a heel does and basically goes, oh you’re having a bit of trouble with your ribs, are ya.  Here, lemme help with that.  And would deal Reigns any sort of shot to the sore spot.  I actually like how Sheamus took it to Reigns.  They being similar in size, it’s a fair fight and Sheamus did well in showing he can be a formidable opponent for Reigns.  There’s no suspense if you know someone’s gonna win or lose.  Having plausible foes makes it interesting.  There’s a moment when Sheamus hoists Reigns up and practically uses him like a javelin as he jutted him into and off the announce table.  He wasn’t taking any guff from this one.   Reigns doesn’t take it all sitting down though.  He lands some heavy blows across Sheamus' face.  He even trips him up while outside the ring and then double kicks him in the face.  They get themselves back in the ring and Reigns starts to build up some momentum.  Sheamus tries to land a Brogue Kick but misses.  Reigns bounces off the ropes and lands a Superman Punch.  He catches his breath in the corner of the ring, looking ready to set up for the Spear.  He starts the charge and Dad (Kane), of all people, intercepts and boots Reigns in the face.  The bell rings signaling the disqualification in Reigns’ favor but none of that matters.  Dad has some business he needs to take care of.  Reigns starts to come around and Dad grabs him for the Chokeslam but Reigns starts to fight back.  Yet, by now, Sheamus has recovered and does Dad a favor and lands the Brogue Kick yet Dad doesn’t say “thank you”.  He Chokeslams Sheamus too.  Why? ‘Cause he hates these kids!  That’s why.  Dad waves for a mic and is obliged.  You listen here!  You want to know who’s the last entrant for Money in the Bank? You’re looking at him.  He waves to get all this shit cleaned up and that’s the night.  I liked it.  Thought it was fun and now, how’s everyone gonna get theirs?


See You Monday,
-Nicole Alexis.

Comments