Summer Slam Nailed It! Can RAW Continue the Trend...

How Are You All Doing, Enthusiasts?

Enjoy Summer Slam? Before we get into all that, let’s get the current WWE Universe news/rumors out of the way.  So, it looks like it’s official.  Renée Young is leaving the WWE for greener pastures and I have to say, we were lucky to have her for as long as we did.   Her sweet disposition and lovely form could easily charm anyone and I’m sure she’ll find success wherever she ends up.  Naturally, there’s speculation that we may see her on AEW, making it easier to maintain her marriage with Jon Moxley but personally, I think she can do better.  There’s word that FOX Sports may have some plans for her and I hope that’s so, FOX or ESPN.  She should do some real world work, really build her resume and once she’s done some fit for real Journalism, maybe we could again be so lucky to be graced with her presence.  May she find the best in her future endeavors.

Now, let’s get into Summer Slam.  It was actually a solid show.  It was like 90% decent which is way more than I thought the WWE had in them.   Let me rephrase that, that’s more than I thought the WWE would give.  In recent years, there was a definite sense of phoning it in from time to time but this time around, it really felt like the players were trying to live up to the event and I think they did the best they could, given the circumstances.  I also can go “rootie-toot-toot” as I toot my little horn at calling the conclusions I was most interested in.

Dominik Mysterio proved that he is training somewhere just not in NXT.  He took the penance of a beatdown and potential eye-gouging very well though I couldn’t help but chuckle at the sight of his baby fat.  He still looks like a minor but he’s big enough to play so let’s hope he adds some muscle tone soon so he’s better equipped to take all these hits and bumps.  It was also nice to get introduced to Mrs. Mysterio.  She definitely looks like a bad B in her own right so, I guess that explains the height difference.  I stand by my Twitter statement, she should be the one who settles this as Dominik builds his street-cred.  Familia Mysterio shouldn’t be messed with 😏 

Though Asuka didn’t take her first match, she did manage to snag herself the RAW Women’s Title off of Sasha Banks.  Both her matches were excellent.  Bayley has really come into her own recently and Banks has been admirable from day one.   Asuka has been one of the most solid members of the roster, male or female so I think the Ladies should be pretty proud of themselves right now.  Now, if the WWE can just get the rest of the Women’s roster involved, they’d be right on their way.  I guess we’ll see how they build that Tag Team Title match for Payback.

The Fiend and Braun Strowman actually pleasantly surprised me because they dropped the theatrics and got down and wrestled.  And given these aren’t the most nimble of fellows, it was a respectable match.  Roman Reigns announcing his return with authority was a fun exclamation point on the end of it.   They shut me up for once.  And you know what, I don’t mind it.  That’s kinda why I bitch.  I know the WWE can do better, I’m just waiting for them to raise their own bar.   So, when they get it right, as much as I bitch and moan I really want to go, “See! That’s what you do when you’re #1!”  I’m WWE4Life8_8 for a reason.  The WWE Universe is amazing when it runs right but that’s kind of the crux of it…who’s to say it ever really did?  Though many praise the Attitude Era, we have to admit it didn’t age well.  These little sprigs of hope are always encouraging.  Let’s hope this is the mark of a sustainable upward trend.  We will see. 

And I can’t forget the Drew McIntyre and Randy Orton match.  I liked how it wasn’t clear cut.  It could have gone either way plenty of times but in the end, the "forces that be" in the WWE Universe did decree McIntyre would prevail and he did.  It was a solid match.  They should be satisfied with their performances.  Could it have been more exciting, yeah but we’ll give them a pass and just chock that up unfamiliarity with the ThunderDome.  I don’t mind McIntyre retaining.  I also wouldn’t mind him losing the title to someone else but I’m not sure who has the believable chops at the moment.  Let’s keep our eyes open and see who impresses.

So, that takes us to the Fallout/Go Home Show of tonight’s RAW.  For whatever reason, the WWE decided to speed right into Payback and we’ll see if that’s a good thing or not.  Have no idea if that means there won’t be a PPV for September but I guess we’ll find out soon enough.  As for tonight’s action, all that’s overtly advertised is Keith Lee’s call up from NXT.  The Twitter feed is making it seem like that’s just a taste of it.  Let’s see if any of it tastes good.  Funny tweets get retweeted and as for Likes/Favorites well, let’s just see what we get.  We gotta treat this like a bad relationship, remember.  It’s good for a while but there’s another fight just waiting around the corner.  Let’s see if we can get through next Sunday without losing our shit, you know in a bad way. 

 

See You in a Bit,

-Nicole Alexis (^_~)







Comments