SmackDown Opts for Low & Slow Before Summer Slam...

 Happy Friday, Enthusiasts.

 

It couldn’t have come sooner. Soooooooo…. There’s some chatter today, isn’t there. Let’s get into it, shall we?

 

Well, I took a gander at what Mr. Vince McMahon said during the what? Quarterly investor call? Not being that concerned with AEW doesn’t surprise me one bit. It’s too new to worry about. The question is will it last. Like I said recently, we’ll see if they make it to year 5. Not that I think they won’t, it’s just that’s the thing about these sorts of things. Lucha Underground was mad promising but they couldn’t make a profit. Will AEW suffer a similar fate? We shall see.

 

Regardless, we know that Tony Khan took some “offense” basically saying that WWE’s only real competition is sleep. Coming on so late and being so “bad” I guess, given RAW mostly. I say this, this way because as you know, kayfabery is always in effect but I wouldn’t be surprised if this stuff is more off the cuff.

 

If I were Khan, I’d walk it back a bit because he reads more upset than not. The barbs back and forth are par for the wrestling course. He’s coming off a bit thin-skinned so far. I would expect some shit talk to be tossed around from time to time but at the same time, I don’t want it to get too pointed because I would love to see a collaboration someday.  I can’t be the only one who thinks AEW will crash a Survivor Series one day. Yet, if these 2 can’t at least remain civil, that may never happen. At this point, that’s my only real concern. So, I hope this is more to drum up the chatter as it is as opposed to real beef stewing.

 

The one thing that does have to be watched though on WWE’s side is coming off too cavalier. That will be difficult at times because, again, WWE isn’t really a place to go if you’re looking to get your hand held. I’ve made a complete hobby out of talking shit if that’s any indication of the scene. So, snarky remarks are going to be bandied about more often than not. However, people are more aware these days. I hazard to say “woke” because there are a lot of times the consciousness supersedes the situation. I’ll use the movie Blazing Saddles as an example. I will go to my grave affirming its hilarity but show it to a 20-year-old and they’ll probably be appalled. The political incorrectness of the movie is the point! It illustrates how ridiculous bigotry is. Every character who displays the trait is dumb. You can’t take them seriously because they’re idiots. If all you hear are the slurs, you’ve missed the point.

 

When it comes to the wrestling world, societal changes are calling for a dose of sensitivity. Yet, as I’ve said, this is no place to go looking for a hug. We have to wait for Bayley to face turn. So, where’s the middle ground? What old school cats may not like to hear is that they may have to find some. Times as they are, losing a job is a very real occurrence that all too many people can relate to. Showing one’s privilege by not respecting that can easily be read at face value and may not be appreciated as “playing heel”. This fine line is what WWE has to consider going forward. Too callous, and they get “cancelled”. There’s no way that Mr. McMahon makes an apology but the fine line has to be minded or they’ll have a P.R. nightmare of a different sort on their hands.  

 

All right, let’s turn to more fun matters. Tonight’s SmackDown advertises the Finn Bálor and Roman Reigns contract signing, though early reports have John Cena offering a rebuttal to being likened to missionary position. There may be another surprise or two as well so, SmackDown continues to hold its ground. Not much else has been dropped about tonight’s show which makes sense because we got 3 weeks before the Summer Slam Go-Home Show. If they know what they’re doing, they’ll let it simmer before turning it up to a full boil. I’m down with that. Funny tweets and Likes get retweeted. We shouldn’t be too disappointed so make sure there’s a real issue before you complain. Cheeky comments however are always welcome.

 

 

See You in a Bit,

-Nicole Alexis (^_~)





Comments