SmackDown Begins the Draft...

How Goes It, Enthusiasts!

 

The WWE Draft is upon us so that’s the talk at the moment. There are some other rumblings but it’s a bit of a slow period in general in the wrestling world. It’s all right, though. It does happen. This should be a brief post. There’s one or 2 things I can talk about.

 

First, the talk of Bray Wyatt returning to wrestling has been churned up. I believe his non-compete clause is coming up. Many thought he may debut at AEW this week in honor of the fallen Brodie Lee f.k.a. Luke Harper but that did not come to pass. I hear that Rampage was taped this week so, if he were to show up there, I think we would have heard the rumors by now.

 

Well, I’m beginning to think his release was a work. I don’t know much about Wyatt’s history prior to WWE but he’s very WWE. I don’t know if he’d even work in AEW. He’s not a great wrestler but he can put on a good match and he’s entertaining so, WWE seems like the best place for him. Many feel he’ll end up at Impact but I can’t imagine that’d be ideal for him. I heard that he might have gotten a little too full of himself and that led to the “release”. We all know that WWE will check someone quick if they start to get out of line but even though people were only half sold on the Fiend, Bray Wyatt had popular approval. We know that Wyatt has something to offer. How to best present it and keep it fresh is the question.

 

My suggestions often come from common tropes you find in fiction/storytelling in whatever form you may find it, books, TV, film all tend to use the tactics I tend to suggest. I know, I watch a shit ton of TV. With the pandemic, I even went back and watched the popular shows of the 80s. That is actually a good tone for WWE to follow. Dallas plays a lot like WWE. It’s better storytelling but it’s melodramatic and argumentative which is essentially what WWE is going for. Yet my point is, Wyatt may have inadvertently pigeon-holed himself but that doesn’t have to be a bad thing.

 

As I’ve stated before, if he wants to move on, his best bet is on becoming a “preacher”. Now, you’ll ask how is that different from being a cult leader well, as with many cult leaders, they tend to diverge from society when they proclaim themselves “holier than thou”. They forget they are but mortal. A good way to advance Wyatt and keep him fresh is to become a man of the cloth. He “repents”, even seems apologetic for his wayward ways. The catch is, he’s still crazy. He hasn’t really learned anything but at least it’s all for “God” now. And he can keep it open and praise the Holy Spirit or what have you. He doesn’t have to go converting people but he will attempt to sway with the word of the Lord. Maybe even quote bible passages. But what’s clear is that he’s still batshit and he can go on forever because the twisted spin is that it’s in God’s name now. Him thinking he’s doing good softens the insanity. Less question of how to sell evil makes it all the more insidious. Again, it’s the WWE take on a classic tale of redemption. Can’t hurt. We already know what doesn’t work.

 

Anyway, the draft goes on as I type and so far, not too surprising. That’s fine. I get the benefits of shaking things up. Let’s hope that they actually do. There’s a good chance this time around. There’s incentive. Funny tweets and Likes get retweeted. We’re in No Man’s Land, my friends. Sit back, relax and enjoy.

 

See You in a Bit,

-Nicole Alexis (^_~)





Comments