SmackDown Eases Us into the Rest of the New Year...

Good Evening, Enthusiasts.

 

How is this Friday treating you? Well, I hope. So, there are a few things to chat about at the end of this week. Let’s start with the non-WWE stuff first.

 

So, Rey Fenix had a nasty spill this past Wednesday on AEW’s Dynamite. I caught it online and yeah, poor guy. It’s the kinda thing that comes with the territory. Reports are saying that it’s more a severe dislocation than it is a break but doctors are still assessing the full extent of the damage. Naturally, we all wish him a speedy recovery.

 

Now, back to the territory I’m more familiar with, there was another list of cuts this week, the most prominent of which being William Regal and Samoa Joe for a second time. I wasn’t familiar with everyone else. I only knew Regal from NXT but I know he had a wrestling career, it was just before my time. And if I did catch him, I don’t remember. As for Joe, well, I think in both these gentlemen’s cases, time was the true culprit. WWE is clearly going for the youth with NXT. With “Grandpa” Regal and “Uncle” Joe, I don’t think they thought they’d appeal to the kids. You’d think they’d have some worth backstage, though. Unfortunately, it doesn’t look like they want their help. Yet, I would reconsider. This “remodel”, so to speak, isn’t being met with the rave-est of reviews and we already know they’re stuck on repeat. We all know that people hold both Regal and Samoa Joe in high regard, why not use them to aid the changing of the guard. It’s either that or find something better and we don’t know how long the latter is going to take.

 

What I’m getting at is that it’s obvious that WWE is looking for the answer. They don’t have it yet otherwise we wouldn’t be complaining regularly. The numbers would be healthy and shows would be sold-out. Funny enough, it’s said tonight’s SmackDown is sold out but that could be due to both Brock Lesnar and Roman Reigns being in the building.

 

On that note, the other bit of news was that Reigns tested positive for the COVID before the Day 1 event. Now, he appears to be cleared. Guess he was asymptomatic since it’s been less than 10 days. Generally, that’s good news but for me, that could float my theory of the whole thing being a work but I’m out of a motive outside of “just ‘cause” so, I can go with my other conjecture, something went down that wasn’t our business. In that case, “positive COVID test” it is. I can respect a person’s privacy.

 

Back to my previous point, the repetitive nature and the other less than desirable aspects, what I’m getting at is as long as WWE doesn’t have the answer, they should keep close those who could potentially assist them in finding the way. Can’t hurt. As we can see, they don’t exactly have better ideas. They can’t say they don’t need ‘em.

 

And on a side note, I’m not taken in by everyone thinking they’re going to sell but at the same time, I’m not in the boat that they never will either. Before any of that, they have to retool the product so it’s worth selling/buying. That’s why I’m pretty sure we’re witnessing a revolution of necessity. No one had a “grand vision”! They saw the piss-poor numbers and know that they had to turn it around. I think it’s as simple as that. Their rep is kinda in the shitter and interest appears to be waning. That doesn’t maintain profits. They want to make money out of this and you best believe if they ever sell, they want as much as they can get. They don’t get the full amount right now. They can’t even bullshit the sale they’d prefer. It’s not worth it at present but it certainly could be. If they’re doing anything right now, it’s finding that sweet spot so when the time does come, they can set the price. Until that happens, expect them to be working on it. The only thing we can really trust is that they’re looking to make a sizable profit. We can also trust that to do that, they won’t be selling anytime soon. Some random tycoon would have to want to play out a dream for that to happen right now and that scenario doesn’t exactly bode well for the future of WWE. All in all, don’t worry about it.

 

So, that brings us to tonight! SmackDown will have a face-off between Reigns and Lesnar. And The Usos and the New Day will battle yet again. Though, reports are hinting that they try to keep it interesting. That’s promising at least. Don’t expect instant results, people. They’ve been coasting for a while. It’ll take some time to find the well again, if you get my drift. Funny tweets and Likes get retweeted. Let’s see what they do with all this.

 

See You in a Bit,

-Nicole Alexis (^_~)





Comments