So, Who's Curious About BackLash?...

 Anyone? Anyone? 😉

 

What’s Up, Enthusiasts?

 

I hope all is well. So, it’s the PPV no one cares about. I’ve seen more interest in paint drying. Nobody gives a shit about tonight. I won’t lie and say I do but I like watching this stuff. You see it’s kinda my thing. What else am I gonna do? Everyone is like, “Anything else…”. Jeez.

 

Well, I’m not sure if WWE can do much about this. Most of the general attention is drawn to more important matters. We have the crisis in Ukraine and everything is fucking expensive. People are probably considering dropping Peacock Premium just to save the few bucks for gas. I really don’t blame people for not caring. This is why WWE should just toss a lot to the wind and try to have fun with it.

 

We can all see that they’ve sort of strangled themselves with focus primarily on the bottom line. Everything is painfully scripted and you’ve got wrestlers who are not actors trying to pull it off. That tends to be what sorts the wheat from the chaff. Who can convincingly deliver their lines or adequately paraphrase. Nevertheless, this keeps those “naturals” from shining. I think one of the things we love about Stone Cold Steve Austin is that you don’t need to write for him. You just let him rip. They need to let the guys who can do it, do it. And encourage others to paraphrase more. Maybe improv classes are more what they should go for as opposed to acting classes. The beauty of professional wrestling/sports entertainment is that guise of reality. This is supposed to be happening in real time. Yes, it’s predetermined but ultimately, what goes down should be or at least look organic. It being so rigidly scripted removes that inherent grittiness that draw people to the genre. This is a good a time as ever to loosen up. No one cares anyway.

 

That all said, even though you probably don’t care, here’s what I’ll be looking out for during BackLash. First of all, I think the ladies in Charlotte Flair and Ronda Rousey have a big task ahead of them. I wouldn’t be surprised if Charlotte is prepping to carry this one. I get the feeling Rousey is tough to work with. I think the best way to make this work is to let both do what they do best. Let Charlotte put on the show and let Rousey kick ass. So, if Charlotte leaves herself open out there, Rousey should exploit it, no matter what’s written. The last time these 2 went at it in the ring, there were definite spots that Charlotte left herself wide open for attack and Rousey just couldn’t move on it. If Charlotte leaves Rousey a blatant opening, Rousey should take it. I think that touch of realism will give the match the bite it needs so people aren’t just looking to see how WWE fucks it up. Let ‘em “fight”. Let’s see who wins.

 

Next match of interest is Edge vs. AJ Styles, for me. This should be a solid match. It may take a little while to get going ‘cause Uncle Edge isn’t as spry as he used to be but that doesn’t mean he can’t put on a great match. Styles we all know can perform so, it’s just a matter of keeping it interesting. We shouldn’t be disappointed no matter who takes it.

 

So for me, that leaves Cody Rhodes vs. Seth Rollins. I get the feeling Rollins takes this one just to keep things engaging. It doesn’t have to be clean but I think doing so cleanly would “affect” Rhodes more. I like how the kayfabe is really thick here. The lines are real blurred. What’s the point of Rhodes feuding with Rollins if there are no stakes? What’s he proving here? At face value, that he’s worthy of a title run. Rollins has held the title and is more or less Rhodes’ size so, it can be done. Moreover, Rhodes is a Legacy. There’s inherently more to it because of that. It’s almost his birthright to hold it someday. And here’s Rollins, having already held it multiple times. Granted, he earned it fair and square but you remember Rhodes’ history. There’s plenty here to send anyone into therapy. And the question really boils down to how true is it? How much does this actually weigh on Rhodes’ mind or does it all just make great story? No clue. But it’s all there for them to play with. I just hope not at Rhodes’ actual psychological expense. I hope he finds a way to have a lot of fun with it. Regardless, both these guys know what to do. Let’s see where the twists and turns happen.

 

And so that’s what I’m going to keep an eye on. Everyone else, have to keep themselves interesting. That is the task. They’ve got the task to make something from nothing. It’s not impossible. And they have the open space to experiment. So, what say you, Enthusiasts? Does WWE manage a sleeper hit or are we all better off doing something else? I’ll let you know. See if you can get yourself a Like or a Retweet. I do look for them.

 

See You in a Bit,

-Nicole Alexis (^_~)





Comments