Extreme Rules for the New Age...

 Happy Saturday, Enthusiasts!



We had a solid SmackDown lead us into today’s events and the scant card makes me think that there are more surprises to come. Will the source of the White Rabbit appear? Will we have some jaw dropping return or acquisition? Can’t say but I’ll be watching to see.



Now, all the regular readers know I don’t bother to run down every match but I’ll talk about the 3 I feel are the matches to watch or at the very least, interest me. The first of which is Drew McIntyre vs. Karrion Kross. I wouldn’t have thought about this one much if it wasn’t for their showing on last night’s SmackDown. That, I would have to say, is something. Kross has to make a statement since this is 2nd shot and it appears he doesn’t plan on missing the mark. 



Strangely enough, he may be a good counter for Drew McIntyre. As I’ve said in past posts, professional wrestling/sports entertainment requires a sort of sincerity. There has to be authenticity in the characters and the action for we, as spectators, to care. McIntyre clearly wants to be a top guy, but his demeanor, presence what have you just doesn’t read as “nice”. He comes off as a hard-ass and a kind of son-of-a-bitch. He seems to make a better Heel and that was sort of demonstrated last night. 



Kross seems to portray himself as some sort of emblem of reckoning. He’s supposed to mark when someone’s time is up? I don’t know what McIntyre was supposed to be doing during this time but apparently he can’t pursue it any longer. Kross said. It’s up to Kross to sell this but he made a good case for himself. I like how they’re trying to make the entrance work but I wonder how it looks to a live crowd. I don’t exactly hear oohs and ahhs when he does it. 



That being said, this is kind of a big match for the both of them. They have to show that theirs is a match to watch. I can’t say the WWE Universe is falling over themselves but I think they do have some of our attention. They should not let the moment go to waste. I’m curious to see how they live up to the occasion. 



The Ladies always have to represent so Bianca Belair and Bayley have the task of earning their keep tonight. Not to say that they haven’t but Bayley is more or less still fresh off of an injury and has to show that she hasn’t missed a step. Here’s a place where some sort of surprise may occur. Only because Bayley is running with her crew, Damage Ctrl. That usually means that Belair will probably need back-up at some point. The surprise could be who runs out. What WWE has to mind here is that it doesn’t somehow downplay the match. I would think that the idea would be to set up a feud for Survivor Series somehow but we’ll see what they do with this.



The match that has my full interest is Seth Rollins vs. Matt Riddle. This one is interesting for many reasons, mainly because it emulates the sentiment of wrestling needing authenticity. What makes this match fascinating is the real beef that Rollins and Riddle had. 



Personally, I’m surprised Riddle hasn’t gotten canceled given the sexual assault allegations that were lodged against him. I know the matter was settled out of court but that alone means something untoward happened. And so, I kinda take issue. There never seemed to be a sentiment of repentance from him. More a sense that the matter was over. I’m not sure the lesson was learned and therein lies the problem. I can understand someone making a mistake but he comes off like he just wanted to shut some chick up. 



I could be wrong but I saw his statement when it was all going down. Riddle seemed more sorry for the consequences as opposed to the action, whatever it was. That leaves a bad taste in my mouth so, I have a hard time liking him. What Rollins and Riddle have to do, is make all that null and void. I’m not sure that they can for me but it is possible that they can have a good match. 



It’s also another place that could yield a surprise. Given Riddle’s lowered market value, this could be a good time for Bray Wyatt to return as Riddle would technically be the perfect person who would need to “repent”. He could go for Rollins as well but going for Riddle is a good place to start “story-wise”. Makes it easier for people to believe it. Again, we shall see what they do.



And so, that’s what has my attention. Everyone else has to prove they’re worth watching. In most cases, that more or less goes without saying so the real name of the game is consistency. Can they bring it again? That is the job. Are they still hitting the mark? We know they’re all talented but no one wants to see a boring match. Let’s see if they keep our eyes open or keep us from going off and doing something else. I’ll retweet any funnies anyone manages. If it’s really good, I’ll Like it too.



See You in a Bit,

-Nicole Alexis (^_~)








Comments