Payback 2023 - Matches of Interest

How’s It Going, Enthusiasts?


So, this is a weird Payback given it’s on the back of sudden loss. It’s hard to feel enthusiastic about it so soon after the fact but, at the same time, we can’t mourn forever. This show will have the delicate task of making us forget for a while. With that said, I advise they simply try to do their jobs and have a good time. Some things are just out of one’s hands, so to speak.

 

Given that, I’ve got just 3 matches that have my full attention. It doesn’t mean the other matches aren’t interesting, it’s just they either have to prove to be or should be. Either way, what’s there to talk about?

 

The first match I’m looking at is LA Knight vs. The Miz. This is interesting for all sorts of reasons. Mainly because it can be argued that they are one and the same. The only difference is that we’re more familiar with The Miz. The kicker is that they’re the same age, so naturally, Knight has the shorter shelf life. It’s unlikely he outlasts The Miz. More than likely he transfers to Commentary unless The Miz decides to do that first.

 

This is where the future gets hazy. Neither one is all that great in the ring though, I have noticed that The Miz has improved greatly in recent years. LA Knight has been slanging, and I respect that, but it’s clear he leans more on his natural talent. In the WWE Universe, one must aim to master as many aspects as possible. If you’re one note, it’ll show fast. You need to have some other things to bring to the table if you want the glory.

 

The Miz has made his career of just passing. Will LA Knight force him to study harder? Or are we surprised and LA Knight impresses thus setting a new curve? It’s hard to say. Both are quite human. I think the win comes down to who does that better.

 

The next match of note for me is Rhea Ripley vs. Raquel Roderiguez. What’s interesting here is that, technically, this is not a new match up. Even I know they’ve clashed numerous times in NXT. This is the first time on the big WWE stage.


I fear this may suffer from this fact in a way. Many of us have seen this before so the draw of it is lacking.  These ladies have to somehow make something old, new again. I wish them well in the endeavor.

  

I’ll close on Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Seth Rollins. Nakamura has been sitting in the background for a while, much due to the language barrier. Yet, times are changing and more people are willing to read a translation. There are still some who bridle but ultimately, we all have Google Translate at our disposal. You can translate many pages on social media. WWE has the resources to account for different languages. It is a global company after all. They should be able to account for talent for whom English is a second or third language.

 

Well, the accommodation has done wonders for Nakamura’s presentation and now I feel we’re starting to get to know him. I like the quirky charm. But, I don’t see him quite at Heavyweight status. Not that Rollins fits the bill but he has street-cred due to his origin from The Shield. You have to be more of a fan to understand Nakamura.

 

I think Nakamura should set sights lower and aim for the Intercontinental Title but this exercise could start the strategy. It should all be a strategy given what we’ve been shown. No one is expecting any upsets this PPV so if WWE keeps with that, Nakamura could use this loss as a reality check.

 

He’s more likely to “destabilize” a haughty GUNTHER than beat Rollins clean. Nakamura would use his savvy to hold the IC Title until the time was right to go for bigger pickings. The Heavyweight Title would probably have to be on someone proportionate like a Finn Bálor which makes it all the clearer that Nakamura plotted his way to the top as opposed to take it. That’s something I could believe.

 

As of now, I don’t believe Nakamura takes it, not as a Heel anyway. Rollins would have to be the Heel for a Nakamura win in my opinion. Nakamura is aggressing here. I think the rules of “Karma” go into play because of it.

 

So, that’s what my focus is going to be on. Honorable mention to Becky Lynch’s and Trish Stratus’ Steel Cage Match. I think they’re going to have to prove we want to see this. I certainly never asked for it so, it’s up to them to make it interesting.

 

Stratus has been great bringing a taste of the old school into the mix. There was a lot more shit talking back then. These days, you’re questioned for toxic behavior. Shit talking is a pastime for some. I’m not going to condone it because not everyone has the stomach for it but some people don’t mind the social pressure/challenge. That’s one of the reasons I gravitate towards pro-wrestling. These behaviors are not encouraged in day-to-day life. It’s nice to find an outlet.

 

Anyway, these ladies have the tall task of selling this match. Just as with Ripley and Rodriguez, I wish them all the best in managing this endeavor. I don’t expect it to come easy.

 

And so, those are my thoughts. Do what you will with them. I expect this to be a respectable show as they have been of late and given all the “drama” going on over at AEW, all WWE needs to do is nail its execution. Demonstrate it is the better run vehicle and it’s ahead on results alone.

 

If I had any say, this is how I’d roll. Let AEW take itself out, in a way. I won’t say that’s going on because again, it seems a little too much for it to be real but I respect the angle. They can’t act like they’ve been doing it for 40 years. Most of them haven’t been alive that long so go ahead and be that promotion. They’re trying to play with the big boys but let’s face it, they’re just getting the hang of adulthood. If WWE is smart, they’d let them “learn”. All the while, they serve as prime example. When AEW measures up, it measures up. So far, AEW doesn’t appear too far behind with their All In numbers rivalling WrestleManias. We will see if they can keep pace.

 

That brings us to Payback which should be interesting just because of the backdrop when you think about it. We’ll see who stands out and who underwhelms. That’s the beauty of it. The proof will be in the pudding.

 

See You in a Bit,

-Nicole Alexis (^_~)

 

 



 

 

Comments