SmackDown Does Its Job and Keeps Its Eyes on FastLane...

Happy Friday, Enthusiasts!



It’s a well-earned one, I feel, this week. Had to press through kind of sentiment in the air. There’s quite a bit to chat about. I got a few key points to go over so, let’s get to it.



First, we’ll start outside of the WWE Universe as there was a minor scare in the Realm of AEW. Our dear Jon Moxley a.k.a. Dean Ambrose suffered a mild concussion during his match against Rey Fenix this week on Dynamite. 



Many commenters are coming down hard on the match’s referee, Rick Knox, for not ending the match and I can understand that. Concussions must be taken seriously, especially in the wrestling industry and even more so when you have a guy like Moxley in the mix. 



We all know he has masochistic tendencies and I wouldn’t be surprised if his personal views on his health are quite old school. He probably has to pass out and lose a pint of blood before going to the hospital because in a case like that, he wouldn’t be able to protest. Every ailment usually gets the blanket, “I’m fine…” response. If it doesn’t need to be reattached, what’s the problem? 



I won’t get on anyone’s case as long as he’s been medically checked by a licensed professional. If all he suffered is in fact a “mild concussion”, I’ll leave it at that. I’m certainly glad he’s okay but let’s remember we kinda, haveta keep an eye on him. He’ll play through when it isn’t a good idea. On top of that, this business isn’t known for the longevity of its participants. Let’s just agree that AEW needs to up its game when it comes to protecting its performers. They already have the odds stacked against them. Try not to add to the statistics, please. 



In the WWE Universe, the roster got that trim down we were expecting and of all the released performers, Dolph Ziggler and Shelton Benjamin stuck out for me. True, both have been slanging for years but both have also proved themselves as stellar performers even if they aren’t at the top of the popularity list. Their only real fault is that they’re both getting on in years but they still look great and are still ready to go.



Even the likes of John Cena and The Rock have commented on the exceptional record and talent of Ziggler. Many felt he would be with WWE for the full extent of his career and I was one of them. I didn’t see that one coming due to his impressive track record. 



Perhaps Ziggler made too much money for not being in active use. Benjamin, believe it or not, is pushing 50 so I can see how they feel it’s all right to put that horse down but you wouldn’t know it to look at him. He can still pass for 35, easy. Regardless, I hope these 2 get reconsidered and brought back in some other capacity. Perhaps they could be offered behind the scenes roles with the option to perform if they keep in proper shape? That’s what I would do.



I can see Ziggler still having some gas in the tank, though and I wouldn’t blame him if he’d like to see what a run with AEW is like. His brother being over there definitely sets the stage for a Tag Team pairing at some point. Yet, I also feel he and Benjamin are a little too good for them. It could help AEW in the wake of losing CM Punk but I don’t know if it helps Ziggler. Benjamin, I’m afraid would get lost in the mix. The AEW roster is fairly loaded too. We’ll see what happens but I’m hoping WWE comes up with a new offer for the 2 of them. They have proven they deserve it.



Word of dismissals also got people talking about how the likes of Nia Jax was brought back. Jax I don’t have a problem with. I know people blame her for injuring the little ladies but I’d blame the small stature over Jax tossing them around. Even in the case of when Becky Lynch broke her nose. Everyone jumped on Jax for being unsafe but if you look at the playback, Lynch ran into Jax’s fist more than Jax punched her. Go look for yourself. I think Jax gets a raw deal in those cases. 



In WWE business news, it appears that SmackDown will be returning to the USA Network in the latter half of 2024. Not sure if the change of leadership at FOX has anything to do with it but they have chosen not to renew the TV deal. Comcast/Universal appears to have no problem airing the product and so as of now they have both major shows. 



There’s talk that RAW could move to ABC at some point but I don’t know about that. Disney is notorious for being stingy. I doubt they see eye to eye on the money. Stranger things have happened but I always get the feeling that Disney tries to strike a deal that benefits them more than anyone they work with. I can see TKO not appreciating it. But that’s just my humble opinion.



And so that brings us to tonight’s SmackDown. Not much is advertised so, we’ll have to watch to see if anything really exciting occurs but what is advertised should keep our interest. Santos Escobar and Rey Mysterio will team up to take on the Street Profits. The main event more than likely will be Asuka taking on Iyo Sky for the WWE Women’s Championship. 



I’ll be watching along with the rest of the West Coast. You’re always welcome to the unofficial watch party. We’ll take a look and see if it’s all that after the fact. Got no choice. That’s why I try to offer a fun spin on the action. You may have seen it already but you didn’t get my interpretation. Join in if you prefer to stay in. I’m too old to be at the club anyway.



See You in a Bit,

-Nicole Alexis (^_~)





Comments