SmackDown Turns the Fire Down to Medium-High Before WrestleMania...

What’s Going On, Enthusiasts?



Happy Friday! So, there are a few things to chat about across the Wrestling World today. Again, nothing devastating or surprising but something to explore. Are you ready? Let’s do it.



We’ll start in the Kingdom of TNA today, as Ash by Elegance f.k.a. Dana Brooke seems a little bitter about the popularity of the up and coming Tiffany Stratton. Claims she’s stealing moves and getting all the credit. Well, I won’t really comment on that because this is the first I’m seeing of Stratton and so far, I see the appeal. To me, she’s a knock-off or impersonation of the video game character Tiffany Lords from Rival Schools: United by Fate. She doesn’t seem as ditzy and doesn’t wear the oversized boxing gloves but that’s what comes to mind when I see her. The character is probably older than her but all I’m saying is that her copying Brooke never came to mind. 



Like I keep saying, this industry is a popularity contest, especially in the WWE Universe. People gravitate to whomever they gravitate to. Unfortunately for Brooke, people seem to take to Stratton more. She’s cute and can perform well so I can’t complain on those points. I was a Brooke fan but she did come off a little…odd. Quirky may be a better word. Stratton is just a clear-cut, obnoxious blonde chick for now. It seems to be working for whatever reason, so what else can you say?



In the Realm of AEW, they are struggling with both poor attendance and low ratings. Currently, NCAA Basketball’s March Madness may be to blame but the trend is probably disconcerting given recent acquisitions. I can’t really comment here either as I don’t have anything against AEW but WWE has been very satisfying of late and what AEW may be facing is the crux of being part of a niche market. 



I say this because being a wrestling fan is hard to validate. It’s akin to liking bowling. I’m sure I’ve stated something along these lines before but you notice how many of us have to validate this interest. Many people just don’t get it. And so, if you are going to partake, you might as well watch “the best”. Now, if you’re a purest, that’s not WWE but it is as mainstream as this stuff is ever gonna get. And even with that, I maintain a “casual fan” status. You may give me a bit more than that since I blog on the reg and watch the PPVs/PLEs but I’m sure you notice I keep it to that. I rarely say anything outside of game nights. It’s because as much as I enjoy it as a pastime, that is about it. It’s something I find enjoyable and my interest is specific to my personality. I’m not out there looking for good pro-wrestling. I just want to release my violent tendencies and be entertained. That’s why “sports entertainment” will do. If you’re a true connoisseur, then by all means discover the finest practitioners but I’m the first to admit that isn’t me. And AEW has to accept that won’t grab a passing interest. They’ll have to hope the fans are diehard and a bit particular about their wrestling. That, in of itself, will draw a smaller crowd. 



All I can suggest is that they stick to being the “alternative” to WWE. Focus on what WWE doesn’t but keep to the general backbone of solid story-telling and dramatic action. If it’s any good, they’ll have a steady audience and nothing to worry about. Lose track of the basics and they’ll fall into obscurity. We’ll see what happens.



So that brings us, for the most part, to tonight’s SmackDown. This week’s RAW ended in absolutely cinematic fashion. I thought it was a blast. The Rock came through and “Final Bossed” the shit out of Cody Rhodes. We’ll see how our beleaguered hero recovers. Probably not tonight but I’m thinking next week for Go-Home shows. Tonight looks to give many of our main players a rest before next week demands everything from them. Pretty Deadly will see if they can get out alive against Randy Orton and Kevin Owens. Bianca Belair may come out and demand a refund with the receipt she has for Dakota Kai. And there’s gonna be a big old Tag Team Fatal-4-Way to see who gets to box in the Ladder Match for the Titles at WrestleMania. You’ll have to tune in for whatever else they have planned. The unofficial watch party starts at 8pm PDT. Pick your platform and play along.



See You in a Bit,

-Nicole Alexis (^_~)







PS: For those who have Amazon Prime, go ahead and check out the new Roadhouse. A lot of people have panned it but I think it’s a fair remake. I like the original in all its cheesy charm but I think the remake is more realistic or at least believable to a certain degree. Conor McGregor is over-the-top but I get the feeling that’s the point. If anything, the fight sequences are sick, so if you like that sort of thing you shouldn’t be disappointed. Never mind what commenters are saying. They’re yearning for a bygone era. 


Comments