STRIPPED DOWN RAW…A Few Things That Happened Last Night (May 4th, 2015)

Hey there, Enthusiasts.  Well, this day was jam packed for me, leaving little time for my leisurely pursuits and so, this RAW recap will be decidedly abridged.  I’ll just be touching on the moments that jumped out to me.  You’ll have to get the full skinny elsewhere.  Besides, I enjoy taking loads of creative license.  If you’re reading me, you do it for fun (^_~)

First off, the opening was a little different this time around.  I suppose Creative is maybe getting a little bored with themselves and decided to shake things up a little. Smackdown surprisingly closing with a Singles Match last week could have been the real start but, it just happened to sneak over to the beginning of RAW.  Yet, we’re lead into it in a familiar enough way.  Randy Orton comes out with yet another axe to grind.  All right guys, you all know me. I’m the Viper!  Been “viping” for years and I’ve held it down. I’ve been the youngest to hold titles and held titles multiple times.  You think I’m afraid of chicken shit, Seth Rollins or tough guy Roman Reigns?  Neither one of them have shit on me and come Payback, they’re gonna wish they never got into the ring.  Well, Roman Reigns has something to say about that once he gets into the ring.  No shit on you, huh? Reigns basically says.  Well, last I checked, I was the one who won at Summer Slam so, that means I may just have a little shit on you.  Oh, you wanna bring up Summer Slam, bro-ham.  Orton replies.  Yeah, you got the jump on me there but apparently you missed what I said earlier.  I got mad titles, son and let’s count the ones you got.  Gentlemen, Gentlemen, Gentlemen! An unfamiliar voice says from the ramp.  Quizzical faces turn to see Big E. Langston of The New Day flanked by Kofi Kingston and Xavier Woods.  Did someone say titles?  Langston continues.  Well we’ve got titles!  And you know how we got ‘em?...Positivity!  That’s right, my friends we, The New Day, are here today to show you how to get and stay positive.  So, clap with me!  Come on, now!  Quizzical stares continue.  Fine!  You don’t wanna clap? So, why don’t we fight!  And there you have the unlikely first match of the evening, a Handicap Match with The New Day vs. Orton and Reigns.



The match takes a little bit to get going and I can’t say that there was much chemistry but the lack of it seems to add realism so, that’s good.  It’s towards the end where it gets interesting.  The New Day corner Reigns and go to town on him, just to get him out the way. Regardless, he manages to make a tag to Orton and Orton starts to “vipe” away and shows no mercy to The New Day.  Yet, in the melee, Reigns attempts to land a Spear on Langston only to accidentally take out Orton. Kingston, happy for the help, quickly lands on Orton to get the pin.  Yet, before Reigns and Orton can even start up, Dad (Kane) comes out.  I hope you chaps aren’t tired because I’d like you 2 to go again tonight.  We’ll see who really deserves to be in the title match at Payback.

After that, the most interesting match I found was Rollins vs. Dean Ambrose.  Rollins got all pissy in a promo and to calm him down, Dad booked this match.  Also, before the match, Dad drops another bomb.  Payback title match is now a Fatal-4-Way.  Dad decided to invite Ambrose to the party.  Ambrose, much obliged, turns his attention to how he’s gonna kick Rollins’ ass this time.  It’s a solid match, though I found it portrayed a bit “cartoonily” but, meh, where else is camp gonna go nowadays?  John Waters hasn’t put out a film in a good while.  Anyway, these 2 have at as only they can and even with J&J interference, Ambrose still manages to roll Rollins up for the win.


The next interesting match was John Cena’s open challenge for the US Championship.  We get formally introduced to Sami Zayn from NXT.  I’ve heard of him and seen him about the interwebs but I have not seen him in action.  I have to say, right out the gate he displayed great energy.  Being in his hometown of Montréal, Quebec, he comes out super amped!  Not to mention, he gets personally announced by Bret Hart, another fine Canadian.  Cena sees this after his long-winded promo and gets ready to play.  Zayn takes it to him.  He has plenty to prove this night and the back and forth is engaging.  Zayn is a tough one.  Cena looks like he’s gonna put the kid in his place a few times but Zayn keeps fighting.  He just won’t stay down.  Also, he protects an injured shoulder throughout the match with a trainer coming out and everything but, I’m not sure if that’s for reals or if it’s kayfabe.  He’s supposedly gonna get an MRI soon.  Nevertheless, after a valiant effort, Zayn finally succumbs to an Attitude Adjustment but The Champ doesn’t skimp on the kudos.  The kid did good.


I have to mention the Divas Match that wasn’t because we have Tamina back in action, always been a fan!  The Divas Division needs more chicks that look like they can actually hurt somebody.  She’s here to help Naomi make the full bad girl turn.  Naomi is scheduled to box Nikki Bella but before she and Brie can even get in the ring, Naomi and Tamina jump ‘em like they owe ‘em money.  They beat the Bellas down and leave 'em for dead.

My honorable mention goes to the second tag match with the newly crowned Wade Barrett and Sheamus going up against the new pals, Dolph Ziggler and Neville.  It was a good enough match, we all know they can do better but, I think this was more to play up the characters than anything else.  Barrett was amusingly pompous and arrogant and Sheamus, sporting a yellow shiner from Smackdown held less back.  Being clearly wounded, I figure the added intensity counters the possibility of someone seeing that as vulnerability.  Ziggler and Neville give it a good go but, having won last time, the impetus to win just doesn’t seem to be with them and Barrett keeps Neville grounded with a Bull Hammer for the win.

Naturally, I must speak of the main event of Orton vs. Reigns.  Personally, I thought this match was a little sloppy but to be fair, the point again I think is more to nail the “story”.  Before the match, Dad comes out to serve as enforcer because J&J are supposed to be ban from intervening as well.  Dad comes ready to play to keep ‘em “in line”.  Seth Rollins has himself a sit in on commentary.  It’s anyone’s match from the get-go.  Orton no stranger to a tense match comes out swinging and these guys slowly establish a rhythm.  Dad and J&J stalk the ring as the match goes and, as to be expected, it does eventually spill out and then spill back in again.  Orton, sees the time, and starts to wrap things up.  He goes for a RKO but Reigns isn’t there but he does manage to land a Superman Punch.  It’s about now that Dad feels is the time to strike.  He lets J&J do what they do best and he and Rollins get in the ring where they begin their beatdown.  Apparently, Dad shows he bleeds “heel” and that the entire match is just a big set-up.  They give Orton and Reigns a good pounding before the Lunatic Fringe, Ambrose comes charging out.  Rejuvenated, Reigns and Orton get back to their feet to send The Authority running.  With them out of the way, Orton finally gets his RKO in and Ambrose shows Orton some Dirty Deeds, leaving him the last one standing and some questions as to how strong the “brotherhood” is between him and Reigns.  All of a sudden, Enthusiasts Payback got interesting.  I would love to see Ambrose win.  I think it would keep interest on the Heavyweight Title as it could easily change hands between at least 4 people regularly, finally opening up the roster a bit.  All for it.   Very promising…very promising indeed.


See You Thursday,
-Nicole Alexis.

Comments