SmackDown Tries to Keep WWE Respectable...

Happy Memorial Day Weekend, Enthusiasts!

 

That includes any international readers. You may not have Monday off but more than likely your country’s armed forces have suffered casualties. Let us all take a moment to commemorate their sacrifice. As for news in the wrestling world, there’s actually been a lot going on. I’ll touch on some of it.

  

Let’s start outside the WWE. So, AEW is moving to TBS mainly due to the types of scheduling conflicts that occurred this week. NBA being more popular, AEW got bumped to Friday night at 7pm EST, right after SmackDown. Ratings should be interesting.

 

Also, Cody Rhodes made some statements this week, most of which went over well enough. He caught a little flak for saying he focus grouped some material only to walk it back to explain that he circulated it around his personal confidants for feedback. I wasn’t really concerned one way or the other but I knew he would probably get a little shit when I saw the statement. Everyone goes to, “You’re straight getting random people to view wrestling segments?...” It kind of defeats the purpose because of the cult nature of the industry. Asking Joe Schmoe doesn’t exactly give you a good read of who’s watching or their tastes. I sincerely hope he didn’t really waste his time.

 

Rhodes also shot down the rumors of EVP in-fighting in the AEW boardroom. I suppose it’s no different from the usual banter that can get exchanged in there. Naturally, they’re not always going to agree but that doesn’t mean they’re heading for a split. I can see that. Not sure it’s true but at least they’re united in sticking to the story. Haven’t heard anything from Kenny Omega yet but The Young Bucks have spoken out too.

  

Now, heading over to WWE, there have been some moves. Tom Phillips has been let go though it has not been officially confirmed by WWE and that surprised me. I don’t think I remember a time without him. I know there was one but since I’ve been watching, I’m pretty sure he’s always been there so, this is strange. I wonder what happened. Was it a disagreement? I haven’t heard any bad press. Hopefully, he’s just getting transitioned into another role or something.

 

Also, there’s talk that WWE is looking to exclusively partner with NJPW. Now…seeing how AEW already dabbled but didn’t try to make NJPW choose, I would almost say that something else is in the works but I wouldn’t dare say. Not yet, but I wouldn’t be surprised if all 3 work together one day. That just seems to be the way things are going. Having eyes on the product is better than eyes on only our product. The pandemic was humbling. Not necessarily a bad thing.

 

So, that brings us tonight’s SmackDown. There’s not much advertised. Just The Usos returning to in-ring action for the first time since the pandemic started. Besides that, you’ll have to tune in and see. Personally, I wouldn’t mind to see where they start to position Aleister Black but at the same time, I don’t want to say too much. I don’t want to jinx anything. You know how it is in the WWE Universe. Good things are never guaranteed to succeed. On that note, funny tweets get retweeted and as for Likes, well, we still got a lot of time until Hell in a Cell but, it is a 3-day weekend. WWE may want to take advantage with more people potentially sitting around or checking in ‘cause they have the time for once. So far, SmackDown is maintaining its street-cred. It’s RAW that’s on shaky ground. Let’s see if the WWE makes good use of the circumstances. Funny tweets and Likes get retweeted. Let’s see who’s got jokes.  

  

See You in a Bit,

-Nicole Alexis (^_~)





Comments