RAW Inaugurates the Wrestling Modern Age!

A Merry Monday to You, Enthusiasts!

It’s the dawn of a new era as RAW opens for the first time in 3 years without SmackDown to directly follow.  SmackDown’s inaugural episode is set to be raucous on Friday as The Rock confirms his appearance and I hear The Usos are set to return as well.  Since it’s a 20th Anniversary show, expect it all to be mostly exhibition to start with some morsels to lead to Hell in a Cell.  I don’t think we’ll really get to SmackDown business until the following week.  This will also be quite an interesting week as AEW debuts on Wednesday to add some flavor to the new wrestling dynamic that lies before us.   The thing about a lot of this is that for me, the bulk of this will have to be watched on the flip because being on the West Coast and the cord cut, I get live showings of some of these shows so, I’ll be a little behind more often than not.  I’ll still post my blogs prior to RAW, SmackDown and PPVs but I’ll be commenting on the Twitters as my schedule allows aside from PPVs.  Occasionally, I’ll check in on AEW and/or NXT but don’t expect that too often.  My schedule tends to get packed on Wednesdays.  I’ll probably do one-offs in the event my schedule changes.

In any case, RAW will have the task of setting this tone for this Modern Age and given what’s circulating, it doesn’t look too different from what’s been going on but probably with a little more buzz as all eyes will be on which organization executes the best this week.  I still don’t see the WWE having to sweat too much but I will take a brief gander at AEW on Thursday (when I’m able) to see how they measure up on TV.  That’s going to be the juiciest offering because after that, we see how SmackDown counters.  And don’t forget, this is also a Go-Home week so this all can’t be pomp and circumstance.  Some of this content is going to have to advance matters going into HIAC.  There’s a lot to consider.  Let’s take a look at how they plan to pull it off.  For tonight, we can expect to see Ric Flair and Hulk Hogan make an old school appearance.  Brock Lesnar is suppose to show up to probably plant the idea of him coming for the Universal Title too 'cause, why not.  Alexa Bliss and Sasha Banks will have a super featherweight match and Rey Mysterio will attempt to take the Universal Title off of Seth Rollins among other things.  Don’t be surprised if this ends up no-contest as The Fiend makes an appearance.  That has been the go-to of late and I don’t see it slowing down into HIAC.  

Though, if I had a say, this match would be “booked” and never happen.  I think The Fiend ruining Mysterio’s day backstage may be more fitting.  Perhaps showing up in his place?  Hmmm, we’ll see what they do.  For me, the only way to go is up so hopefully they don’t get the shovels out to dig a deeper hole.   Funny tweets get retweeted and as for Likes/Favorites, let’s observe a bit before we make final conclusions.  This isn’t so much a make or break week as it is a definitive one.  There’s a lot going on in the Wrestling World.  The WWE Universe is both expanding and being infringed upon so, it will be most interesting to see how they rise to the challenge.  Though they may not have much to worry about, it doesn’t mean that will always be the case.  If the WWE proceeds wisely, they will be attempting to always lead the way.  Everyone else should be perpetually playing catch-up.  Yet, they have to do this very independently.  Not so much seeing who’s nipping at their heels but seeing how they can challenge themselves.  I think guys like Ricochet represent that.  If it’s true that John Morrison may make a return, the acrobatics could become more of a mainstay.  The bigger guys may learn to high-fly a bit.  Maybe they can get some bigger women in too so that their division becomes more believable as well.  The WWE should double down on the WWE Universe.  They shouldn’t forget all else but it should be very clear that this is another world.


See You in a Bit,
-Nicole Alexis (^_~)




Comments