SmackDown Back to a Familiar Role...Custodian...

What’s Happening, Enthusiasts.

 

So, this is a bit of a mixed bag in the wrestling world. Let’s start with all the big news of the past week or so, shall we?

 

Well, I didn’t touch on Ring of Honor closing up shop so, let me just touch on that. It does sound like the plan is to start back up next April but that is unfortunate. This pandemic is taking way more than lives, livelihoods have suffered as well and it is very unfortunate. I feel for these people and hope they find their way. They should take more solace in the fact that is more a sign of the times. Life changes one’s direction sometimes. When it does, it’s up to one to ensure that the change is for the better in some way. Best of luck to the next chapter of their lives.

 

The other big news was that Jon Moxley/Dean Ambrose admitted himself into a rehab facility for what I’m hearing is alcohol abuse. Now, when Moxley left WWE, I wasn’t happy about it but I felt that if the move made him happy by all means enjoy yourself. Yet, what I generally witnessed was a descent into his hardcore roots and right there was a bit of red flag for me. I’ve voiced how Moxley has masochistic tendencies and given the way AEW is presented sometimes, there’s a definite gritty, underground feel. I’m sure Moxley viewed it as more honest, “wrestling for the people” sort of thing but I always saw it as a step down.

 

Don’t get me wrong, my whole blog is more or less dedicated to dissing WWE but I’ve also said that it has the great production values and the reach to the public. It’s simply more respectable in that right. I felt the same with Daniel Bryan. I didn’t think AEW made any sense because it doesn’t really benefit him career-wise other than having fun wrestling.  Sure WWE’s Creative has plenty to be desired but that means you have a good shot at getting your own content done if you have a good pitch. But my point is AEW doesn’t really help Moxley either. It doesn’t elevate him as a performer or get him any more on the map. On top of that, it allowed him to indulge in his personal inclinations which are clearly self-destructive. These reasons make me feel that going back to WWE may be best for him.

 

Now, hear me out. I know. WWE is giving their Public Relations Department a run for its money right now but the structure inhibits Moxley from heading down his own dark path. The last thing I want to see is a headline stating his death. But AEW, whether they meant to or not, allowed for his lesser inclinations. Not that they’re at fault but they’re in no position to govern Moxley. They’re lucky to have him and of course they support him but he could always bail and be fine. I’m sure he respects their management but we all know he doesn’t need ‘em.

 

Yet, with WWE, things aren’t so simple. I’m not going to act like I know how they work and I don’t fully believe all the hype but long story short is that he’s got to toe the line with a  company like that. He would be governed and overseen. He naturally bridles at that but low and behold, he may be the type that may need it. Otherwise, he runs wild; quite fitting for the lunatic fringe. Strangely enough, WWE may be his salvation. It’s not going to happen anytime soon but if they continue to clean-up their act, they could be a better option for Moxley in a couple years or so…as long as they continue to improve.

 

That said, let’s talk about the WWE releases. Now, I didn’t even know the bulk of them but Nia Jax and Keith Lee were huge surprises. Lee makes sense though because there was trouble before he took time off for health reasons. I think there was a dispute with the rights to his name and other issues. Coupled with no real plan or idea for him, I can see WWE just going fuck it. I get the feeling he’d do better at AEW anyway. Actually get a chance to be a star, you know. With his jovial large dad look, it’s doubtful WWE knew how to present him best to the public.

 

Yet with Jax, everyone was bitching about her poor ring work. I think the timing was in poor taste given how she requested some time to compose herself but I can see WWE being real old school about “mental health issues”. I’m sure much of management are “Suck it up and get to work…” types. They want to see a performer is up and ready to go and at a moment’s notice. Someone may get hurt or stuck in traffic or another city and a superstar has to be on-hand in a pinch. If you are just having an off-day or are generally depressed, that isn’t gonna cut it. Someone has to have died or been in an accident, something. Being out of sorts gets you rolled eyes with a bunch like that. WWE isn’t keen on hand holding.

 

As for the vaccination requirement rumor, I don’t know. Lee may have an employment law case if he’s unvaccinated since COVID caused inflammation for him. Getting vaccinated may be a health risk. Not sure what Jax’s excuse is. Yet in terms of her release, I think the bad press was the nail in the coffin. I never really heard good things about her work. I never had a problem with her. She was entertaining and moves well for a large woman but I can’t recall any memorable matches. The shoot with Charlotte was compelling, though. She was often played as heel to counter all the animosity yet, there wasn’t enough praise. You gotta earn your keep somehow with WWE or not make enough for cutting you to matter, one or the other.

 

All in all, I wouldn’t be surprised if both return someday. Jax can take the time to get her head right and perhaps get into better shape. Not that she has to lose the weight per se. I get the feeling it’s natural but maybe lose 20 pounds to spare her knees, that sort of thing. If she is in fact manhandling people maybe work on the selling without actually hurting the small ones. She could also learn to tell a better ring story so we can commend her matches as opposed to witnessing the spectacle. If it means something to her, she’ll work on making herself a real commodity to WWE.

 

Lee, on the other, may have to blow up in AEW first and then once he proves to be ticket mover, WWE may regain interest. By then, what to do with him should be clearer. Regardless, WWE is proving to like putting itself in difficult positions. It probably prefers the days before social media when they could do more of what they wanted without being a public outrage. The display did come off fairly crass and the suddenness of these cuts can’t be good for morale. In these cancel culture times, WWE has to respect proper or at least fair conduct. There’s a lot of pissy talk right now and more people are boycotting the WWE product due to this cold handling. I have to admit, it’s hard to vouch for them. As much as I talk shit, I don’t want to champion lack of consideration. There’s a better way to do this “budget cutting”.

 

I don’t have anything against anyone trying to make a profit. That is what you do in a capitalist society yet, it doesn’t have to be done unsympathetically. Wrestlers should probably get a formal termination letter like in most corporate settings. And in said letter, they should probably be told that they’ll be released in a week’s time or something so that they can process it privately. If wrestlers are finding out the same time we are, that’s cold. WWE needs talent and if they’re making it clear it’s no picnic working for them, who’s going to have the dream of it? They should be taking note of the economic climate. People aren’t willing to work shit jobs anymore. If WWE is looking for the best, they’ll need an inviting work environment. I’m all for overhaul and trimming the proverbial fat but if something better isn’t put in place, it will be all for not. We’ll see if WWE starts getting wiser about how they stay in the black. They should probably start with a more understandable explanation for dismissal going forward. I can understand a lack of popularity more than their need to keep costs down.

 

Anyway, SmackDown is back to clean up duty again, this time for the company. We’ll see who isn’t too off-put. To ease the pain, WWE has Roman Reigns back from his bye week. We’ll see if the Bloodline feels a little lighter this time around. To be honest, I thought Jax had some sort of Bloodline immunity but apparently not. I’m curious to see how WWE brings people back around. Besides, I love talking that shit. Funny tweets and Likes get retweeted. There will always be releases. Hopefully they’ll be more tactful in the future.

 

 

See You in a Bit,

-Nicole Alexis (^_~)





Comments