RAW Starts to Sow the Seeds for BackLash...

 How’s It Going, Enthusiasts?


Is this Monday treating you well? I can’t say I should complain. I could but there are people suffering worse atrocities. I would just be bitching and moaning. Rather do something more worthwhile with my time. Don’t get me wrong. I’ll have my bitch sessions but for this arena, there’s no real need. Things have been fairly tame in the wrestling world. 



A thought that seems to have caught a few people’s attention is the status of Roman Reigns. The titles “unified” what is next? Well, is that really a question we want to ask in the WWE Universe? It has become quite clear that they’re thinking it up as they go. Whenever you hear reports of Creative having nothing for people, I always find that’s grounds to question Creative in general. All your job is, is to have ideas for people. You really don’t have any? Recently, Shotzi Blackheart seems to be suffering from Creative’s writing blockage. Just off the top of my head, why doesn’t she try to rally the women troops for some delusional quest? Haven’t seen her in a bit so, I’m not sure whether to frame her as a heel or a face but it’s something she could have fun with, especially with that faux tank of hers. She could arrive saying join me or else! Ladies look at her quizzically, maybe go on to talk about something else. Attack! And a nerf missile heads their way, prompting a chase/beatdown of course. It could lead to a feud that leads to a match with just about anyone. It doesn’t even have to make much sense. It’s just entertaining. That’s basically Creative’s job. And they can’t do that much? What are they paid for? I’ll keep saying it. There should be too many ideas, not too few. That has always been a red flag for me with this promotion. As long as that’s the case, expect WWE to be hit and miss. They’re not really thinking about it.



Anyway, I digressed. As for Reigns, a lot of talk is floating around about what’s next and whether he’s really injured. I never thought he was injured. We all know that when Brock Lesnar sets in a Kimura Lock, it’s supposed to be a “dangerous moment”. We’re supposed to be reminded of his MMA/UFC background and that the guy can actually put a hurt on if he so pleased. I think that’s what he used to “break” Triple H’s arm way back when. I think a similar shock was supposed to arise from it but times have changed. As much as we want to see carnage, we want it kept for show.



I don’t mind this evolution. You don’t want to prompt sadism. That’s what AEW doesn’t seem to get. The death matches and blood attract a questionable element. It appeals to those who gain pleasure from seeing others in pain. This is not the best for the Wrestling Industry. I feel it should be a place to vent unsavory emotions but not necessarily indulge or encourage them. 



This is where I think WWE needs to reorient themselves more. They may inadvertently discover storylines in devising ways to validate violence. If a Heel deserves the beating s/he is gonna catch, the display is all the more satisfying. Someone gets their just deserts. It’s easy to cheer. Easy to feel vindicated. Heels may have to be more comical to get their dirty work done because they have to somehow believe that what they’re doing is necessary. If the reasoning is too exacting, the Heel is too psychopathic. Why is this person not in some sort of counseling or in jail? This is how times have changed. We just can’t write them off as crazy and have at it anymore. Now, their psychosis must be recognized, properly diagnosed and then treated. This must be seen as cause for rehabilitation, not unbridled fisticuffs. An easy workaround, humor. The Heel knows they’re nuts and is up to some crazy shit. Who’s in? Don’t really care this Face is getting all of it. And it’s on. I always joke I’d fight over someone drinking the last of the orange juice. The grievance doesn’t have to be real or serious. The players just must be in earnest about defending/fighting for it. I think the sillier it is the more fun can be had. I don’t know about you, but I’m here to basically have a good time.



Okay, that’s enough of that. Let’s just bring it round to tonight’s RAW. Backlash is the next scheduled PPV and that’s not until May 8th so we’ve got some No Man’s Land to wade through for the rest of the month. Tonight, we see Cody Rhodes in his first match post-WrestleMania. A lot of people are kinda snickering that he gets put right back with The Miz but I don’t see that as a bad thing. Miz is not the best wrestler but he does entertain. He’s a solid heel and should give Rhodes the restart leg-up he deserves. I’ll be looking to see if they have fun with it because they should. 



We should also Veer Mahan get his feet wet with the help of Rey Mysterio. The Ladies look set for some Tag Team action and we can’t forget that The Usos have been tasked with a mission. Guess they’ll try to unify the Tag Team Titles too. I won’t complain if it’s a good watch. We also should see Damian Priest start some shit with AJ Styles. You all know we’ve sat through worse. Let’s see if WWE can keep those days in the rearview.



See You in a Bit,

-Nicole Alexis (^_~)





Comments