WrestleMania 38 - Day II

Happy Closing Day of WrestleMania,

 

Well, Day I was a solid night of action. I don’t think many of us can say different. I like this. This gives people real motivation to go out and do their best. That’s all it really should be about. This should be very human, very visceral. That’s why it resonates. That’s why there’s nothing like it. Even if you don’t know who anyone is, you can walk in and get it if it’s set up right.

 

Yet, story of the night did require some backstory, though. Let’s not lie. There is a wrestling divide due to Cody Rhodes’ departure. However, this may not be a bad thing. This inherent story makes it all interesting at a base level. It is a human drama. Rhodes has essentially returned home. He had every right to storm off and partake in the creation of an alternative. It was the only way he would ever be heard. It may be hard to hear but I feel it is very true. Well, we all heard him loud and clear tonight and I saw him in those Stardust days. It’s not his fault brass couldn’t see that the trees make up the forest. I think this is a night that Cody Rhodes always wanted. I don’t think it could have happened if everything hadn’t transpired. Let’s hope this leads to something more substantial. This could be a very pivotal moment, Enthusiasts.

 

The other stellar match was indeed Bianca Belair and Becky Lynch II. They left everything out there and clearly never intended to disappoint. I liked that Blade Runner meets Ghost in the Shell motif Lynch was rocking. If I didn’t know better, it was some sort of shout out to Asuka but that’s just my speculation. These ladies have nothing to be ashamed of. To me, they were match of the night but Rhodes vs. Rollins is a very close second. Like I said on Twitter, that match was loaded.

 

So tonight, we see how WWE closes this WrestleMania Weekend. I would just say that they shouldn’t think too much on it. Just let people go out and do their jobs. That’s what worked about tonight. I’m sure the same philosophy applies. And just the same, I’ll just breakdown the matches of interest. I won’t take long.

 

So, the first match that I have my eye on is Johnny Knoxville vs. Sami Zayn. This should be a fun one and they need to take note if it isn’t. Knoxville has proven that he’s a natural at the shit-talk and the spectacle so it’s Zayn that has to measure up and entertain. I don’t t doubt that he can but he has to stick to his strengths. That’s what Day I has shown us. It was very organic in a way. People were just doing their best. That’s all everyone has to do today. So, Zayn just has to relax and do what he does best. He does that, he can hang with Knoxville’s charisma. This could be and should be a fun match.

 

After that, I’m looking at Pat McAfee vs. Austin Theory. If McAfee just goes for it, we shouldn’t be disappointed in this match. Theory has proven that he performs well but his youth is all that’s against him here. Since 40 is the new 30 that means Theory might as well be 15. No one is going to take him seriously for a while. He’ll have to grow up. Dominik Mysterio is kinda the same way. He’s 12. His muscles haven’t even come in yet. Doesn’t mean this can’t be a good match, though. It’s the same diff. All they have to do is what they do best and we shouldn’t want our money back.

 

And then there’s the Main Event, Brock Lesnar vs. Roman Reigns. Again, since this is not anything new they have to bring this to a new level. They need to lean into whatever they both do best. So, at face value, it’s a platinum hoss fight. They should just leave a mess. Tear up the first row and destroy the announce table. Maybe bring in other props but they should just demolish everything. They don’t need to move, per se. I don’t need them going through the crowd due to the perceived collateral damage. They should be savvy enough to want to stay out of a court room. They should keep it between themselves. I also wouldn’t be surprised if there was some sort of “twist” to this match but let’s just hope that whatever happens lands. WWE should be free to experiment but in said experimentation, they should be taking note of what doesn’t work. Let’s see if they utilize any research.

 

That’s what I’m looking at. I don’t expect Edge vs. AJ Styles to suck but that’s why I didn’t bother to comment. They know what to do. All we look for is that they came ready to work. Outside of that, it’s just like Day I, everyone just has to do what they do best. Let’s see who makes an impression.

 

So far so good, I’d have to say. As you can see, when WWE gets it right, they get it right. They just have to learn how to do that 90% of the time. They’d have the top spot for eternity. Aim to be the Pixar of wrestling. I know they come off like Disney but that won’t put them where they want to be. If they really want to dominate, it’s quality over quantity.

 

See You in a Bit,

-Nicole Alexis (^_~)




Comments