WrestleMania XL: Day 1 - Matches of Interest

 How’s It Going, Enthusiasts!


Happy WrestleMania Day 1.  So, this is a packed weekend and I got a lot on my plate on top of that so, I’ll take my time and also be brief. There are 7 matches on the card tonight plus whatever extras they got planned so this is gonna be a long day and that’s just the half of it. Let’s get into it.



So, the first match I’m looking at is Bianca BelAir, Jade Cargill and Naomi teaming up to face the New Damage CTRL. Now, to look at it, it does look very lazy. The Black (African-American) women against the Japanese Women & Dakota Kai. I guess Kai technically makes the whole thing diverse but I don’t see many people really buying that. And so, why is this an issue? It doesn’t really have to be but in the face of a casual fan base with random new onlookers, one has to wonder what sentiments it conjures. 



On the other hand, I wouldn’t want forced diversity just to quiet sensitive fans or head-off inadvertent backlash. WWE is good at getting the best. They don’t really care where you come from. That is clear. They want who and what sells. That’s it. Now, is there some tone-deaf booking from time to time, of course but this doesn’t exactly have to be that. For all we know, Belair, Cargill or Naomi (BCN) could have suggested they all team up. This may also just be a way to ease Cargill into the pool as well. Though she has the look, she really doesn’t rock the mic and so there’s plenty to still work on. Belair and Naomi know enough to at least keep her real. And that mentorship could transfer in to storyline at some point when/if she starts to get a handle on things. 



If anything is lazy, it’s throwing all the Japanese Ladies together. Some could think it just makes communication easier but I think that’s limited thinking. However, the saving grace with all this is that the Law of the WWE Universe is that all factions must break up at some point and so, it is almost assumed that they will in time. Perhaps this is just a moment in WWE history as opposed to keeping apples with apples and oranges with oranges. They’ve made plenty of “fruit salads” in the past. No reason to think they'll take it off the menu.



All that said, all BCN and Damage CTRL (DC) have to do is show us why they’re invited to this party in the first place. I hope that’s what drives the bulk of this showdown. We also have to expect that this will be a Cargill Showcase so as much as DC have to sell her, they should also be trying to ruin her day. Let Cargill have to both think and overcome and I think everyone can come out a winner. If I’m any one of them, that’s what I’d be aiming for. We’ll see how it all plays out.


The next match I’m looking at is GUNTHER vs. Sami Zayn now, here it’s really a matter of what’s the entertaining outcome, I would think. Gunther retaining is the easy option and can still be a good match but…I guess what I’m asking is, is Zayn an entertaining champion? How would Zayn winning make us want to watch him retain it? Unfortunately, as much as we may love him, I’m not sure we generally care to see him with the Title. It’s similar to Otis having the Money in the Bank contract. As much as he feasibly could hold the title, is he the “top guy” of the company? By default he represents the company to some degree but is he “The Guy”? 



Don’t get me wrong. Both Zayn and Otis should earn something from time to time, sure just for putting in the hours but as for exciting television, I’m not sure they’re it. However, Zayn does have it in him. I think this could be a very telling match depending on what’s already been decided. 



If Gunther is to carry on being Champion, all he has to do is execute a competitive match and all Zayn has to do is be good competition. Yet, if Zayn gets the nod, I think he’ll have to try on a more confident version of himself. He may have to polish his “shit talking” skills, so to speak. Of course, Zayn is intelligent so I’ll expect him to rely more on wit but he’ll have to add a bit of bite to his presentation but remain authentic. We’ve seen glimmers of this before and if he can prove that he’s as good a champion as anyone, then so be it. Go ahead and hold it down and show why they gave it to him. We’ll see what’s been decided.



Next up, Becky Lynch and Rhea Ripley going for it all. Now, personally I don’t see Ripley losing. Her reign has just begun and I wouldn’t be surprised if this match solidifies that. Lynch, though she has heart, how does she best Ripley? Honestly? Short of like running her over or having a light fixture fall on her, I don’t really believe Lynch beating Ripley one-on-one. 



Moreover, I don’t really need to see Lynch with the Title. Like I said, Ripley appears to be coming into her own and fulfilling her “destiny” so let the myth, the legend grow. We don’t see enough of that these days so, let her star rise. Lynch just has to keep it gutsy and fun and she’ll get called back to the dance again. She can have the Title again when it makes more sense.



And that brings us to the main event, the big, fat, juicy, blockbuster Tag Team Event with the cornerstones of the Bloodline, The Rock & Roman Reigns facing the not-so ragtag pairing of Cody Rhodes & Seth Rollins for all the goddamn marbles! Kids who know what marbles are, cough ‘em up! Go through your grandparents’ old things and see if you find some. If your Mom has some beads in a container for aesthetics somewhere, you can use those. No one is going to have any after this bout. They are all on the line! So, what happens here? Well, all I can say is that whatever it is, will inform Day 2. So, if I’m them, I leave it as some sort of cliffhanger. Maybe that’s where the SummerSlam rumors started. Perhaps we don’t get the Rhodes vs. Reigns on Sunday but some continuation of the Tag Team match. Maybe The Rock doesn’t like the ending and demands an immediate rematch. Maybe some bullshit interference taints the experience too much for Rhodes. Whatever it is, forces us to revisit Rhodes vs. Reigns in the summer. And that face off may change between now and then. That’s what I’m guessing. And if they pull it off in an entertaining fashion, I won’t complain. That’s all we really want, isn’t it? I think what they need to guard against is trying too hard. 



The formula here remains fairly simple and though this should have way more pomp and circumstance, it’s got to be a good time above all else. They need to have fun out there if this is really gonna work. I think that’s what’s really gonna make or break the close of Day 1. How much they enjoy selling it. 



There you have it, people. Like I usually say about this time, you’ll be sick of me come Monday but that’s just the nature of this time. It’s you and me for the next 72 hours or so. Let’s do it. Unofficial watch party starts at 4pm PDT. Choose your platform. 



I’ll Be Seeing You,

-Nicole Alexis (^_~)







Comments