WrestleMania 39 - Day 2 - Matches of Interest

A Good Day 2 to You, Enthusiasts.

 

How did you like last night? I have to say, it was a delight. I had a lot of fun. It was exactly what it should have been. It was big. It was flashy but not quite over the top. I think it was respectably spectacular, a fine standard.

 

Most feel that Kevin Owens and Sami Zayn facing The Usos was Match of the Night and Charlotte Flair and Rhea Ripley is currently making a play for the top spot, but for just straight pure entertainment it was the Tag Team Fatal-4-Way that was MOTN for me.

 

I really didn’t even expect half that. They really just let loose out there and it worked. Everyone just genuinely did their jobs with big smiles on their faces. It was incredible! Really great time. That was a game changing match. I would say it definitely put Chad Gable, Angelo Dawkins and Ricochet on the map. Ricochet more for first timers and such. If they didn’t know who he was before, they know who he is now.

 

That’s the kind of thing I like to see. That means there’s life yet to be attracted to this pastime. And I’m real happy for Angelo Dawkins. With everyone always talking about Montez Ford, he got himself some solid street-cred when he took out Braun Strowman. This is the kind of stuff you can’t stage. You can mark it but execution just happens sometimes and this was stuff you tell your friends about. Good for him.

 

Now, we all know Chad Gable is phenomenal but the textbook German Suplex on Braun Strowman was jaw-dropping. It’s like, no one can talk anymore. If you can’t do the move flawlessly, don’t do it I would say. No one can say shit. If he can do it to Strowman, no one should be fucking up with it. So, if you aren’t nailing it on the reg, take it off your repertoire.  That was an awesome match. I don’t think I ever had so much fun. Great job guys. That’s how you just let it happen.

  

Other points of interest were Mysterio vs. Mysterio and Charlotte Flair vs. Rhea Ripley. I actually forgot all about The Bloodline match. I thought Flair and Ripely were gonna close it out but I get the match order.

 

What got me about the Mysterio match was Dominik Mysterio. This kid gets it. I started to realize how much he thought about all this. I wasn’t around when he was actually a child but he comes off like such a big kid it’s hard to think he’s in his 20s. I wouldn’t let him drink a beer. But he’s in his 20s. He’s growing up and this was like his college graduation day and it was so precious. We have witnessed the origin of House Mysterio.

 

Now, the match was the match and it was fun but we all know that the kid has a lot to still learn but I get the feeling he’ll figure it out. Welcome to Manhood, kid.

 

As for Flair and Ripley, the only thing I got wrong was its placement. But there was a moment where we could have witnessed disaster. Something went wrong with one of the suplex-like moves and Flair could have broken her neck if she didn’t correct herself. From what I saw, it wasn’t Ripley’s fault. Flair dropped her form a bit.

 

That’s the crux of tumbling. Gotta do it right or it’s disastrous. And Flair being on the taller side doesn’t help. Just noting it ‘cause it kinda scared me. That’s not a thrill any of us want. Hope she’s all right, you know outside of the usual post-match wear and tear.

 

So, now we have the final day, Day 2 and Day 1 was very on point. Tough to beat some could say. Well, as with such things, the best approach is not to try. Just let it all hang out and pray. Here’s what I’m going to be focused on.

 

I can’t help but wonder about the Omos vs. Brock Lesnar match. Part of me can’t believe it’s happening. I feel like it’s a front for something else but I don’t know what. I’m expecting this to be a “surprise match”. Maybe Bray Wyatt returns. Maybe Randy Orton for whatever thinking. Perhaps someone else from out of left field.

 

Something doesn’t feel right here. I feel like Omos is not really ready for a full-on match with Lesnar and more importantly, I don’t know if there’s really a demand. I think most people are like me and going, “Why is this happening?” There’s something going on here. I guess we’ll have to watch and see what exactly.

 

Then, any who are familiar are expecting me to talk about Finn Bálor/The Dæmon vs. Edge possibly in his “Brood Form”. Okay, I would think Edge would agree with me on this. He’s been on supernatural themed television. You have to sell this right if it’s going to go over.


The problem has always been being too Halloween Costume with it. If he’s a demon, he’s gotta be a demon. So, he’s gotta come off some sort of otherworldly in a believable capacity. He’s gotta believably face a Braun Strowman or Gunther or maybe even Roman Reigns and these bigger guys have to gulp.

 

So, as always, I’m hoping we finally see a mind-blowing reveal. Something that makes Edge not want to fight. If you’re going to use this sort of gimmick you have to go hard or you look stupid. I’m not asking he commit himself to darkness but he has to embrace the persona. If he’s going here, it has to be next level so, the kiddy shit just isn’t gonna cut it.

 

We don’t really want to be scared either. That’s what the reveal is all about. We get more caught up in the how’d they do that than debate Bálor being a demon incarnate. That’s what makes it fun. It also gives WWE an attraction. Each time, they have to better themselves. They have to have some fun with this, Bálor especially.

 

We’re in Los Angeles, it can’t be some Party City display. Here’s to hoping they do Bálor right for the first time ever.

  

So, that leaves the main event. All Roman Reigns and Cody Rhodes have to do is be competitive and honest. I think the last showdown embodied that. Rhodes is potentially another type of “People’s Champion”. He’s more of a reflection of the common man. Much like the role Bryan Danielson/Daniel Bryan tends to play. He reminds us that with enough heart, even Joe Schmoe can save the day. Never mind he was born into it.

 

However, the hope is that probably next year, we have an ideal WrestleMania match as The Rock returns to face Roman Reigns. If they are shooting for this endgame then Rhodes loses so the task will have to be that it’s done honorably.

 

There’s so many ways this can be done all I’m asking for is a good match. Give me hope, take it away. Make me think maybe, and then no… I don’t mind the outcome if it’s a fun ride. I think they can have an honest match but they’ll have to rely on what they do best.

 

Reigns is no technician. It’s clear that he relies on being big and strong to get business done. That will be the key to Rhodes giving us hope. I don’t think Rhodes is the best wrestler but he gets sports entertainment. If he wants us to believe he can win, he’ll have to exploit what Reigns doesn’t do well and if he can, get Reigns to beat himself at every chance.

 

On the other hand, if Reigns wants to limit pissy boos, he’s got to demonstrate his strength whenever the opportunity arises. This should be a mess in the end. Rhodes should be playing chess and Reigns should be trying to put Rhodes back on the Injured List. They accomplish that, we can pat Rhodes on the back no problem and Reigns may actually lose some more flak.

 

I’ll give credit where it’s due and there’s no doubt that Reigns has developed well and is a great deal better than when he started but there are still some things to be desired and he’s certainly edited to look better than he is. Keeping things simple yet effective could at least earn him some credit so that we respect his “supremacy” a bit more. Otherwise, people get pissed he’s on top for the obvious. Let’s see if they do anything about that.

 

So, that’s where my head is at. Let’s see if I read it all right. What’s becoming apparent is that ideally, they go out there and have fun. Day 1 was an absolute blast. I would say everyone nailed the assignment as best they could so that’s all one can really ask. They need to just go out there and have fun doing the job. They do that, we should go home happy. Let’s see what happens.

  

See You in a Bit,

-Nicole Alexis (^_~)





Comments