Bash in Berlin 2024 - Matches of Interest

How’s It Going, Enthusiasts?



I like how this PPV is shaping up. Once again the home Crowd throws an interesting wrench into the plans. If things were set, are they now changing? I can't and won't say but I think how this Crowd is operating will be a big factor in how this show goes. Let me just get into it.



First up, Gunther vs. Randy Orton. Well, I think Orton should tag him back in this one. Gunther spanked him like a baby or at least if you tuned in at the right time, that's what it would look like. So, I think it’s only fair that Orton does his own version of showing Gunther who he is. 



Now, this will be delicate being on Gunther’s technical home turf. We can split the hairs in his being Austrian but I’m not sure when that PPV happens so, this will have 2 do. Yet, that’s also where the chance for Orton lies. I don’t doubt WWE will be back but it’s not exactly guaranteed so, everyone abroad has to make the most of what they get. So, what’s the greater moment? Witnessing a Randy Orton win or a Gunther win? 



Personally, I wasn’t watching during Orton’s heyday so, I’m not against seeing how he handles it now. We’ve seen what Gunther does and given the nature of this, Orton doesn’t have to hold it forever. It’s a matter of letting the hometown guy win or to have a WWE moment. The argument is that Orton has had plenty but technically so has Gunther, perhaps on a smaller stage but he was a big deal in NXT. 



This is what I’m getting at in the end. We are witnessing what Gunther ruling is like. It’s stable. Not exactly exciting but you know what you’re going to get. I’d just rather see the Viper vipe. Gunther can get it back later but I won’t be mad if they let him retain. Like we all know, Orton has had plenty. 



Next up, I’m looking at Kevin Owens vs. Cody Rhodes. This one got interesting as Rhodes goes the psychological route. Pleading to Owens’ heartstrings? Does he have any 😉 I suppose that is what we find out this weekend. This could work either way but given that the German Crowd seems to be a bit more…hardened, I don’t think the lovey-dovey approach is the best move here. My money is on Owens being Owens and everyone loving him for it. Perhaps they can DQ it so that the Title isn’t lost. 



So, that leaves CM Punk vs. Drew McIntyre. This is a Strap Match and this is where I hope lies all the fun. I mean, why go through the trouble, right? Yet, we have to mind the logistics. Punk seems fragile and undersized. How is he going to throw-down believably and perhaps for 15-20 minutes? 



I’m thinking that’s where hijinks ensue. Does this cheapen the whole thing? Not if they’re smart about it. Punk has to be solving a problem. Everything he does has to serve some purpose. He may not be able to manhandle McIntyre but he cause him to self-destruct. If Punk shows that he doesn’t mean to so much beat McIntyre’s ass as opposed to “own” him, I think you have a new interest level, especially with an erudite Crowd as we seem to have.  



They’ll have to be creative but honest. I’m not sure what “way” works but I know it can be done if you stay in the right lanes. And Punk should take his licks. We did come to see a match but I respect him not trying to have his ass kicked out there and using minimal effort to achieve the win. 



Drew McIntyre may have an uphill battle because of this. With McIntyre ahead for the most part, Punk has the underdog energy working for him and that’s a place where he can thrive. Germans like underdogs too. How does McIntyre garner sympathy here? At the same time, given the nature of the Crowd, he doesn’t necessarily have to but I don’t know how interesting a squash is in terms of long term storytelling. Punk would have to deserve his walloping more in this scenario I think. A heel Punk could totally get murdered out there but with him lying in the cut like he is right now, I think he should get one over on McIntyre. McIntyre should make sure the hits he lands, count. 



That’s what I got. I think it will be an interesting show and I think this is also proof that WWE should endeavor to branch out. There should be an Austrian PPV someday. The difference in cultures is absolutely fascinating. I am loving it! 



I got a few things to do today so I won’t be joining until about 4pm PDT. As I’ve already made clear, I wasn’t going to get up early anyway. But I will have fun making the party food. I try to be a bit more decadent on the PPVs. It’s a reason. Feel free to implement your own traditions if you haven’t already.



See You in a Bit,

-Nicole Alexis (^_~)





Comments