SummerSlam 2024 - Matches of Interest

How’s It Going Enthusiasts!

 

Welcome to SummerSlam! Have no idea what to expect but that’s okay. I’m enjoying the day for more casual yet personal reasons today. Nevertheless, I’ll be watching at 4pm PDT and while I am I will be looking at just a few matches. The rest either should perform or have to.

 

First match I’m curious about is GUNTHER vs. Damian Priest. I think we’re on the cusp of a Priest Face Turn. My only question is, where does it go? Not that I mind that he earns respect but what’s next is the real question. The thing about Gunther is that he’s simple. The point is to win. Who is the next opponent? See, give him someone else to mangle. Priest now has to have some sort of quest or be some sort of adjudicator. Not sure if the landscape is quite set up for that at present.

 

However, I don’t think that should mean Gunther wins. Priest is in an interesting space right now because he’s winning on merit. He’s just doing a great job with a shit position and it’s commendable. You gotta give it to him. His lemonade stand is booming. So, it’s going to come down to what’s more interesting in my mind. I’m fine with him retaining but I would understand if something else happens.

 

Next, I’m looking at Rhea Ripley vs. Liv Morgan. Now, this has been fun but I suppose it’s time to bring it to a conclusion. I think it’s inevitable that Dominik Mysterio gets involved somehow and I think in that respect, it’s a matter of not getting too corny. I think if they lean more towards Jerry Springer shock than strange twist, it should be fine.

 

In these Davida vs. Golitha type matches, the same goes as for the men. If the smaller is to win, s/he must do so believably. So, if Morgan is to retain, she’ll have to outsmart Ripley somehow and otherwise outplay her. If not, Ripley should rightly dispose of the interfering Morgan. This doesn’t have to be a squash but it should be somewhat realistic. I don’t mind if it’s a lot of fun too. I don’t really have a stake in what happens here. All I ask is that it makes sense.

 

And so, the last match I’m going to have my eyes on is CM Punk vs. Drew McIntyre. I would say this closes but since there’s no stakes other than pride and bragging rights, I'm thinking…it could get slapped in the middle. Now, here, there’s a lot one could contemplate ‘cause I’m sure the big issue is whether Punk lasts. The latter half of his career is riddled with injury. He’s a good car, but he’s at the stage that you may have to get a new one. Will he even make it to the end?

 

I would hope so, ‘cause if he can’t stay in one piece he may have to segue into commentating or start shadowing Shawn Michaels. We can’t expect it to get better, it will only get worse so if he can’t dodge injury for a minute, I’m not sure the possibilities are worth contemplating. He may have to consider putting on a little more muscle. I get it if he doesn’t function that way but he may want to try anything, nothing unhealthy, but anything to protect himself.  So, let’s just see if he gets through it. Of course, I want a good match but let’s just see if can even happen.

 

These are the things that interest me this SummerSlam. I feel I owe the Bloodline honorable mention seeing how Roman Reigns is apparently in town. We have to figure that he factors. Does that mean we have a Solo Sikoa “win”? Bloodline doesn’t care about fairness. It’s all about the result. Looks like there’s some inadvertent foreshadowing afoot. Let’s remember it’s about the long game here, though and I think we are going to have a Blacks/Greens like split soon. Season 2 of House of the Dragon is wrapping up so there will be a void. Good shit is good shit and HotD is some good shit 😉 I don’t blame anyone for riding its coattails.

 

This is a high-profile moment and we must remember that the real prime directive is more fans. All I’ll say is that I anticipate a show of solidarity in the face of a Bloodline victory and if they are deterred, well my guess is that WWE is buying time. Not a bad idea if you want to get new fans hooked. Yet they must remember there must be a real payoff. It was questionable if that was ever going to happen in the past but nowadays, that must happen if we are to be invested. That goes for new fans and old. This product must improve, not deteriorate or revert. Adapt or die. We have to see how they keep it interesting.

 

That’s how I’m looking at the matter. But I can easily be distracted by a lot of fun so, we’ll see what they try to land. If I’m them, I’m going for a good time. It’s hot and people can be irritable. Last thing I’m doing is pissing people off. Take their mind off it. But that’s just me. Let’s see if they really play for the future.

 

See You in a Bit,

-Nicole Alexis (^_~) 





Comments