Smackdown Sees If the Language Lessons Took for Bash in Berlin...

Happy Friday, Enthusiasts? 



How’s everyone doing? Well, there are at least a couple things to chat about in the Wrestling World. I’ll keep to the ones that jumped out at me the most. Up for a little discussion? Let’s get into it.



So, let’s just get the Nikki Bella/Garcia and Artem Chigvintsev story out of the way. Fortunately, it’s not as dastardly as it originally seemed. Given that Chigvintsev was the one arrested, it’s easy to think the worst. But since he is a professional on Dancing with the Stars, the general news outlets have picked up the story and according to them, the incident involved Bella throwing shoes at him. He might have been arrested for his own protection. Bail might have just been the consequence of getting the police involved.



I find that hopeful, ‘cause I would think knowing who she knows, that should be enough incentive not to fuck with the woman. She knows too many people, both male and female, who could put a real hurt on somebody if properly motivated. It also puts a different light on her request for privacy. It also doesn’t completely let him off the hook ‘cause it sounds like he pissed her off so the question becomes how. Did he cheat? Say something incredibly stupid? We may never know. But as I said, I’m just glad it’s not the usual kind of news about domestic violence. Let’s let them sort it out between themselves.



Over in the Realm of AEW, Swerve Strickland has signed a revised contract that’s said to give him a well-deserved pay raise and some wrestling sites are saying that WWE isn’t happy with this rise of his profile. I’m not entirely sure why they would care ‘cause he is a good wrestler and is working well within the AEW structure. However, to me, it’s easy to see why WWE may not feel he’s worth “that much”. 



I took a look at his match with Bryan Danielson/Daniel Bryan and Strickland is solid in the ring, no doubt. The problem could very well be his presentation. I’m a person of color so I can comment a little more readily than most but to look at him, I would generally say he’s “too hood” for their liking. He comes off like a gangster/thug. And if you haven’t noticed, WWE has classed up a bit in recent years. I know in the past it was definitely more lowbrow but with advancements in communication and social media as they are, if you’re the best, you can’t look like some 2-bit production. 



I think if Strickland were to ever reconsider WWE or WWE to reconsider him, he’d need to change his image. Either lean more into the “ghetto fabulous” or follow more in the footsteps of Kendrick Lamar. He’d have to be thought-provoking and socially challenging so that we’re prompted to think more about these stereotypes. And the “diss promos” would have to be very pointed and distinctly articulated so, though he may not have the Ivy League background, it’s clear he’s intelligent. 



However, I appreciated how AEW handled the juxtaposition of Strickland’s thuggish presentation against Danielson’s “wholesome hero” sensibility. To look at the match, you’d think that Danielson would get shanked or something. And Strickland did “cut him open” which led Danielson having to “take the gloves off” and resort to breaking Strickland’s fingers to take the win. Personally, I didn’t care for the blood, especially for Danielson. 



It’s clear he’s still beloved within the Wrestling World and given his injury struggles, it’s hard to see him hurt, even if it is intentional. Moreover, I feel it adds a more serious level to the action that I’m not really here to see. I know there’s a market for it, but I’m here to have fun, and when I see blood or think someone is actually hurt, I get the feeling the match should be stopped. I want our players to live to play another day. I don’t want them mangled and destroyed. It’s not fun to me. Like I keep saying in this blog, the tone should be “professional roughhousing”. If a person needs more attention than what’s provided in a standard first aid kit, the action went too far. Just like when messing around at home. No one wants to have to break it to Mom that Johnny’s arm is broken. No one wants to take that trip to the hospital. 



I’m sure Danielson probably bladed, but my first response is to stop the match and get him cleaned up. I’m not about the Crimson Mask at all. But, the match was as good as everyone said so, I suppose no real harm done. We’ll see what the future holds for both these gentlemen.



And so, that brings us back to the WWE Universe and tonight’s SmackDown. It is the Go-Home show for Bash in Berlin and it’s already been taped since they’re in Germany. Once we get a chance, we can expect LA Knight to open up the US Title to all takers for an Open Challenge. Baron Corbin and Apollo Crews will see what Humberto Carrillo and Angel Garza got in Tag Team action. Mia Yim is going to see if she can take that Title off Nia Jax in a Street Fight. And Cody Rhodes will have one final chat with Kevin Owens before their match at Bash In Berlin. Will the old Kevin Owens return like Jamie Lannister at the end of Game of Thrones? If he does, hopefully they make it more interesting 😉



The unofficial watch party should be at 8pm PDT but I’ll post on X/Twitter if that changes. Have family business to tend to tonight. Might be detained but I should get it in tonight. As for tomorrow, I’ll probably watch the replay around 4pm PDT. Don’t care that much to get up early on a Saturday. Those of you who understand or agree can join me around then. 



See You in a Bit,

-Nicole Alexis (^_~)










Comments