RAW Does a Last Run Before Showtime - SummerSlam 2023

How’s It Going, Enthusiasts?



It’s a mixed bag at the beginning of this week but at least there’s stuff to talk about. Let’s get right into it. 



So, let’s address the sad news in Paul Reubens better known as Pee-Wee Herman passing over the weekend. He was quietly battling cancer and unfortunately succumbed. This is sad, despite his less than savory past. I grew up watching Pee-Wee’s Playhouse and didn’t discover the adult origin until I got older. Regardless, that was a great children’s show that I will always remember fondly, not to mention his movies. 



I missed his spots on WWE television but I feel I won’t be the only one a bit grieved at his passing. Sincere condolences to his loved ones. This one was a bit of a shock.



Back to the Wrestling World, WWE had a kinda lively weekend. NXT had their American Bash and Cody Rhodes’ documentary dropped on Peacock. I didn’t partake of either and I doubt I would but while perusing the rumors/news of the day, I saw that Gable Stevenson had his first match. 



I watched a clip and Baron Corbin got the break in duties and it broke down to a display that resembled roughhousing that could be witnessed between any set of rowdy brothers which, is a great way to start I feel. I think that’s all a lot of us want. We don’t want anyone hurt but “thrashed” like you would be at home. It should be something to laugh about, not pity and call social services over. It ended in a double countout which I find fair. Stevenson fell back on his collegiate Greco-Roman skills certainly so, it didn’t look like Sports Entertainment but was effective. He was definitely animated and Corbin knows how to play the “Big Brother”so, it doesn’t take much to go there with him. 



Stevenson seems a bit stiff so, I don’t know how he’ll fair on the mic. I’m thinking once he’s up to speed, he starts with the Alpha Academy to eventually go his own way but we’ll see. I think that will be the real determining factor for him. He seems more an athlete than performer so, we’ll see if he ever picks up the showmanship. 



As for the Cody Rhodes’ documentary, I witnessed it, more or less in real time as did anyone who saw AEW come into existence. True, we don’t have all the nitty-gritty details but we got the overview alright and I don’t blame Rhodes for bouncing. It was the right thing to do. He was never going to get the shots he was angling for. It’s just how it goes. It’s a popularity contest in the end. Yet, last year’s WrestleMania was a glimmer of hope because one of the best matches was just good performers, performing. Merit can succeed if you let it. 



Nevertheless, it will always be whoever gets the biggest draw that gets the main event. Rhodes had to go make himself to do it and I commend him. It’s a layered story but when he finally made it to WrestleMania, you could see that’s all he was trying to do. It just wasn’t going to happen under the old guard, doing it the old way. I’m proud of him. I’m glad he’s finally getting what he’s always wanted.



And so, that more or less brings us to tonight’s RAW. It’s Go-Home Week so we should get nice and antsy for SummerSlam on Saturday. There’s a little bit of everything tonight as we can expect Valhalla to take on Maxxine Dupri. Logan Paul is going to be in attendance to get in Ricochet’s face one last time. Brock Lesnar will also be stalking around backstage looking to “sabotage” Cody Rhodes. And Seth Rollins will fill the vacancy left by Kevin Owens and pair with Sami Zayn to take on Damian Priest and Dominik Mysterio of the Judgment Day. 



We’ll see what holds to the “script”. I’ll be watching during the 8 o’clock hour on the West Coast as usual. Please join the fun if you’re able. 



See You in a Bit,

-Nicole Alexis (^_~)






Comments