FastLane 2023 - Matches of Interest

 How’s Everything Going, Enthusiasts?



Well I hope. So, this is a very interesting time in the WWE Universe. It’s like for the first time in a long time they’ve understood the assignment. What could have and has been very whatever in the past suddenly has some bite and excitement. There’s so much to consider but I’ll touch on like, half of it.



I was debating over whether to close or open with the Ladies and I figured I should lead off. The Ladies have really solidified themselves in recent years so, we don’t really have to worry about a good match. It will be more a matter of whether we care. That sounds, crass in the sense that it’s not that these aren’t talented people but it’s such a given, there aren’t any real stakes. What will matter is how fun/entertaining the match is. 



There’s a lot of room to have fun with an inherent rivalry in the works being the preeminent Japanese Ladies on the roster. There’s also news of Kairi Sane returning to WWE as well. Could that be a shocker lying in wait rendering Charlotte Flair a sort of odd woman out? 



It does track with the precedent that Flair is wherever the Title is. In that case, she doesn’t care who the opponents are and is truly “equal opportunity.” The Ladies will have to have fun with all this and try to keep themselves in the conversation. I don’t doubt they can do it but will they? We shall see.



Next match of note for me is Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Seth Rollins. This is basically Nakamura’s big break. I’m sure Creative have been trying to do something with him but the language barrier was a hurdle. I love that they just acquiesced and let Nakamura speak Japanese. I think it brings an honesty that we wouldn’t have gotten in English.



He can now speak freely and confidently and show us who he is. He already has but we all know in a structured, fabricated way. Now, he can shine but will he win? I wouldn’t be surprised only because Rollins has already. Rollins is willing and able but is he “hungry”? I think Nakamura stomach’s rumbling and that may be what makes the match one to watch.



The final match of interest was a toss up between the Tag Team of John Cena & LA Knight against the Bloodline in Jimmy Uso and Solo Sikoa and The Judgement Day in Finn Bálor and Damian Priest against Cody Rhodes and Jey Uso. I am opting for the Judgment Day vs. Rhodes & Jey because given how SmackDown ended, it appears to be the match with the most implications. 



At present, Rhea Riply appears to be calling the shots, so how this ends could have a direct impact on Roman Reigns’ return. Will he have to wrench free the crown? May depend on who wins and how. 



If the Judgment Day win, that could trigger a response in Jey. He tends to be the fragile and vulnerable one so, if he were faced with defeat, it may allow the Judgement day to take advantage. Could he be swayed? They’re now like “family” anyway. Like I said, it all depends on how this happens. If the Judgment Day is effective and intimidating, perhaps. 



Maybe Jimmy and Sikoa join in later, giving Jey very little sense of hope. Being overwhelmed, he may cave. It would not be unlike him to return to what he knows best. It's all so hard to say and playfully compelling. Never thought I'd see the day. It's just the juiciest angle. A lot could go on in this match and most of it could be drama. It's all a matter of taste but something tells me wrestling isn't going to be the draw. Well, as you can see, I'm down so we'll see if they keep our interest.



So, that's all I've got. The card is pretty light so either there's going to be some surprises and asides or this may keep to a tight 2½-3 hours. I suppose we shall see. I'll be on unofficial watch party duties. Feel free to get your loose breakdown here. It isn't rocket science but that tends to mean it's a good time. Join in if you like.




See You in a Bit,

-Nicole Alexis (^_~) 










Comments