SmackDown Gets Focused on MITB...

How’s It Going, Enthusiasts?

 

Welcome to the weekend. Well, most of us know that this weekend is essentially for AEW as their All Out PPV is set for this Saturday. Meanwhile, WWE will be placing the final pieces for Money in the Bank down for the next couple of weeks. There’s not anything too exciting going on. A few talking points here and there so this post shouldn’t go for too long. Let’s get into it so we can get to our own pursuits.

 

We’re going to start in the rogue city-state of MLW this time around. Hearing that they finally got a TV deal with Tubi, I decided to check it out. It’s only an hour after all. It’s definitely low-rent programming but personally, I still like their content more than AEW’s. Something about the no-frills, outcast sensibility resonates with me. This week’s standouts came from the 日本人女たち called ヘト(Hate) if I heard them right. 全部は日本語で,でも面白かったです。They’re charismatic and mean. What else could you ask for? Shotzi helped introduce them so to speak and I was intrigued. I’ll be tuning in weekly. Not on Thursdays but I’ll probably knock it out the following weekend so you can assume I’m not yet caught up for this week but I will be by Monday.

 

In the Realm of AEW they combined Dynamite and Collision into one super-sized show as the final lead up to All Out. Naturally, my primary focus remains on The Future and at present, what’s next is hard to figure, which isn’t a bad thing. Jon Moxley started things off with this kid Dezmond Xavier. Xavier looks like he’s 18 trying to look 25 so, I’m not sure how old he is but wasn’t surprised that Mox led this dance. Kinda surprised he let Xavier jump around as much as he did so you could say this was definitely a contrast of styles. We know Mox tends to stick to the meat and potatoes of wrestling while Xavier seems to play more with presentation. More like a bougie grilled chicken sandwich with chipotle mayo and sweet potato fries. Doubtful you’d make it at home kinda fare. You’d have to pay for it. Meat and potatoes are usually home cooking and can stick to the ribs so you could say that Mox weighed him down in the end but the kid put up a good fight. We can consider that a warmup for Saturday night.

 

Then Mox hopped on Commentary for the match between the fellow Riders of Death in Claudio Castagnoli and Gabe Kidd as they took on Will Ospreay and new firm recruit in Mike “Speedball” Bailey. The Riders don’t make things easy for the firm. Kidd got nuts at the end and Castagnoli prides himself in being a problem in the ring so a firm win was not guaranteed but Ospreay pulled it off in the end. Kinda had to since he had some words for Mox. They were words of gratitude. Mox led him to the “next level”. Couldn’t have done it without him. But this next time out is gonna be different ‘cause now Ospreay is the Champion so I suppose that resets the balance 🤷‍♀️

 

It was no surprise Mox countered by questioning where Ospreay actually is. Does he feel like the Champion? Kidd runs in to test Ospreay’s reflexes. Almost takes out Mox in the process but that leaves him open for Ospreay to take Kidd out so that’s enough for Ospreay to say fuckin’-A right!

 

Mox continues to get points for the apt usage of vocabulary while on Commentary. He’s not just going around aiming for more chipped teeth apparently. He manages to squeeze a book in from time to time. But is that an indication of “genius bordering on madness”? In this instance, it could be more a display of “method to the madness”. Ospreay is leading with his chest at the moment so, this would be a good time to lean into a destabilizing strategy. Let Ospreay do the work, kind of thing. Plant the seeds of doubt. That is a tactic Mox puts into effect.

 

Yet, we must consider the outcome. If Ospreay is AEW’s new Top Dog, does it make sense to put the Title on Mox? Depends. I’m not entirely sold on Ospreay but I feel he can grow into the role in good time. The only stakes appear to be for the World Title so it doesn’t seem that Ospreay acquires the Continental Title in the event Mox loses. You could say that Mox doesn’t need the World Title so in that case, the Title is Ospreay’s to lose. This is more about solidifying Ospreay’s ascension. So, Mox can take the L the question is a more a matter of how.

 

In my opinion, I wouldn’t be surprised if a moment arises where Mox “could win”. Ospreay misses a spot or “messes up” somehow. You’d think Mox would go into full “kill mode” with Ospreay’s belly exposed but for whatever reason, let’s Ospreay “live”. It could be a defining moment in the match and that moment of “compassion” could be the deciding factor to Ospreay retaining. It could be argued that Mox let him win. It could also be what leads to dissension in the Rider ranks so, that’s more a matter of if they want the fracturing to begin.

 

On the other hand, though AEW tends to keep their PPVs clean this could be a place where “interference” could come into play. I can’t help but notice MJF’s absence. I don’t know if he just took time off or is off filming a project but given how he last had it out for Ospreay, is this when he makes a surprise return?

 

MJF made a slight ripple recently having reached the top of the PWI 500 recently. Naturally, he had some shit to say about some of those on the Top 10 and some praise for others. I thought that a “soft launch” for the Future may occur this weekend but MJF hasn’t been talking enough shit about CM Punk to warrant that. Punk was one to receive some shit talk, though. I’d say it’s a bit too little, too late at this point but who knows about later.

 

In any case, MJF could force a disqualification so that Ospreay retains by default, catching heat from both Ospreay and Mox since it either forces a rematch and/or the stakes change and inserts MJF into the picture? This serves The Future but doesn’t have to happen now. Guess we’ll have to wait and see. I’ll keep an eye on the feed. I’m not paying for shit 😉

 

In the WWE Universe, the primary focus remains MITB. There’s some time still left on the clock so not the finishing touches but the molding for the finishing touches can certainly be put down. For tonight’s SmackDown, we can expect the Ladies to have some 6-Woman-Tag action as Chelsea Green gathers up Paige and Tiffany Stratton to battle Fatal Influence. Charlotte Flair gets proctoring duties in the Qualifying Match with Giulia and Lash Legend. And it’s anybody’s match in the qualifier for the Men as Finn Bálor, GUNTHER and CM Punk try to punch their ticket. That should be a good one. And then Trick Williams and Baron Corbin aim to earn their keep with a Steel Cage Match for the US Championship.

 

I have to cook today but the worst of it is the mashed potatoes so, I should be good to go by show time. No shame to you if you want to kick off Autumn with some nighttime activities. In my neck of the woods, it’s still warm out so I understand wanting to go out and have some fun before we have to break out the warm jackets. Me, I’m happy with my wrasslin’.

 

See You in a Bit,

-Nicole Alexis (^_~)




Comments