SmackDown Has Been at Home (Sunday Night: Main Event)...
How’s It Going, Enthusiasts?
Happy 3-day Weekend
for those in the United States. So, it is an interesting time in the Wrestling
World. AEW appears to be proving that they’re no flash in the pan and may very
well be here to stay as the promotion for real pro-wrestling. I think this is
fine because as we all should know, WWE isn’t the best place for pro-wrestling
in its purest form. It’s more about sensationalism and “fisticuffs” I would say
but I prefer it so, no complaints here.
In any case,
after a successful All In, the Realm of AEW had its Fallout and I would say it
was respectable. They overran their 2-hour allocation and from the looks of it,
it was simply allowed. I didn’t see anything that specifically needed more
time. So, a nitpicker could call it “sloppy” but if Warner/Discovery doesn’t
have a problem with it, that’s just unnecessary bitching.
I will say that
it’s looking like “The Hooligan” Gabe Kidd is going to be “a problem” going
forward. Will Ospreay opened the night’s festivities only to have this onery
one stomp through ready for a full fight. Ospreay obliged him with the main
event as he and his crew were welcome to face off against Ospreay and his crew.
It was a fun
throwdown. Yet, what caught everyone’s attention is Kidd attempting to end Ospreay
with a chair only to be stopped by Jon Moxley with the Riders of Death in tow.
Kidd thought he’d be up for stomping Ospreay out but Mox kiboshed the move,
that is until the big screen projected what’s to follow. Apparently, at All Out
at the end of the month, Ospreay and Mox will box for the World Championship.
That certainly changed the tone for the evening.
I just have some
questions as both gentlemen currently hold titles. Does that mean the winner
will be a Double Champ or will it get consolidated into one or what? Just
curious. It doesn’t really have any bearing on The Future. What does is that
this “twist” seems to foretell that Mox may not win. I doubt they’d elevate Ospreay
just to knock him back down.
However, it doesn’t
have to be so simple as that. Given this turn of events, one would think that
if Mox does manage a victory, it’s likely to not be clean. And given that, the
door for “interference” is somewhat open. Could Kenny Omega return at a pivotal
moment? Will the Riders of Death DQ the whole affair? I see that Andrade holds
the AEW equivalent to the Money in the Bank Contract, does he cash in a week
prior? Turn it into a Triple Threat? Hard to say at present but it does make
things interesting. We’ll have to wait and see.
In other news of
the realm, the New Level had their first TV match and I have to say that I am
happy for them. They seem to be in a better place overall and I wish them the
best.
It’s unfortunate
that WWE couldn’t stay interested in them enough to figure out a way to keep
them active and entertaining but that’s how it goes sometimes. The WWE Crowd follows
what it does and though none of us wanted them gone, there just didn’t seem to
be enough of an interest to keep them either.
However, they
didn’t deserve a 50% pay cut. For long-term players such as that, WWE should be
more willing to allow them to end their careers with grace and even leverage. Should
they want to see if AEW has a better offer, they should be allowed, especially
if they’re having a tough time getting them on TV. If it were up to me, I’d
just keep them at their usual rates until it’s time to hang it up. It’s clear
that there isn’t a lack of funding. I understand that a business’ prime directive
is to make a profit but I doubt maintaining well-liked performers’ salaries would
affect that goal.
Besides, with
AEW becoming the obvious alternative, there’s incentive to keep bad press to a
minimum. Those on top always run the risk of self-destruction. WWE has to be
vigilant about not sinking their own ship. I’m all for them being a “Heel
Company” but that has to keep in with a sense of kayfabery. If these reports
are true, then the risk of doing themselves in does exist. Let’s see if they
understand where the line is or have to wait until the worst happens in order
to learn the lesson.
In other news,
Andrade has been bringing some attention to himself of late. He’s got a beef with
how WWE favors the Samoans over any other ethnic offerings which is true but I
don’t think it’s to the extent that no one else has a chance. As we can see,
they’re giving a lot of time and attention to their AAA acquisition and making
use of lesser used/less popular talent there.
I’d also say
that the RAW set for Mexico City also challenges that assumption. In
terms of Andrade specifically, he was given 2 chances and both times, he didn’t
really land with the Crowd. I don’t mind that his English isn’t the best and I
do commend his prowess in the ring but the displays fell flat. I would
attribute this to the WWE Universe’s general disinterest in pro-wrestling in
its pure form. To be honest, we just don’t care. Someone either hits the mark
or doesn’t with us and Andrade just didn’t. He’s just not that entertaining. He
seems like the type who would scoff at having to do some “song and dance” to
please us. He seems like he was expecting his skill to wow us. I say the lack
of response proves my overall point. We don’t care. You don’t have to be the
best wrestler to succeed in the WWE Universe. Just look at Danhausen. Nevertheless,
doubt the outcome would have been different if he were Samoan. He just maybe
would have stayed on the payroll 😉
In the WWE
Universe, Bayley fans seem to be able to breathe a bit easier as word is that she
re-signed with the company and should be back on TV soon. I think this is a
good thing. I don’t doubt Bayley would have been welcomed in AEW it’s just, I
don’t think she’d be challenged. She’d just be the big fish in the small pond
and I’m not sure she’d get much out of that.
Yet, with her staying,
they have to figure out what is the next stage of her evolution. Does she have
a character overhaul? Does she become focused on being a Title Holder? Does she
get a faction? I could see someone like Tatum Paxley in a rag-tag crew run by
her. What is next then?
Bayley knows how
to have a good match so, I don’t need her to evolve into some badass. Yet, I
wouldn’t mind her getting a little more respect so to speak. Let’s see if they
can keep her real and get her more top of the card action. I think she could be
a lowkey big deal. She is Our Arya Stark, after all. Let’s see what they make of it.
And so, that
takes us to tonight’s SmackDown. In light of AEW nailing their assignment,
it will be interesting to see how WWE’s pre-recorded show measures up. I do not
doubt that we’ll see a punched up version of what they were planning for Sunday
Night: Main Event just to keep pace. That’s the beauty of competition and
it behooves both sides to keep it healthy since performers may change hands.
With that, what we can expect tonight is The Miz and Kit Wilson regaining their
self-control to face Shinsuke Nakamura and this Kyoki fellow. Giulia looks to exact
some payback on that Blake Monroe. Sami Zayn may face “consequences” for
interfering with last week’s main event. And both Randy Orton and Cody Rhodes
will have their closing arguments before we see how this plays out on Sunday.
I just have to stick
dinner in the oven today so, being ready by showtime should be easy. There’s no
shame in getting out of the house if you have a 3-day weekend. This may be the
last hurrah of summer for a lot of people. And for those in Southern
California, there’s rain forecast for the weekend, so this may be the only
chance to get some extracurriculars in. Yet, if you prefer the homelife as I
do, you know when we get started.
See You in a
Bit,
-Nicole
Alexis (^_~)

Comments
Post a Comment